We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

a horrible dish called "purple"

Hamilton, Canada
Level Contributor
224 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
a horrible dish called "purple"

My friend was given a dish as an authentic Cuban dish - she believes it was fish and when asked what it was called, was told "purple" or something that sounds like that. It was sort of purplish in colour, and tasted horrendous. A few weeks ago I saw a video on youtube and this guy was at someone's home eating something that looked sorta purplish and he said it was horrible. I thought maybe it was the same dish.

Just for curiosity sake, does anyone have any idea what this really is?

Thanks

Quebec City, Canada
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: a horrible dish called "purple"

pulpo = octopus

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
191 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: a horrible dish called "purple"

ewwww!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
4,508 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: a horrible dish called "purple"

ick!

Hamilton, Canada
Level Contributor
224 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: a horrible dish called "purple"

OMG... that makes so much sense... finally! LOL

montreal
Level Contributor
11,286 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: a horrible dish called "purple"

pulpo = octopus No octopus when its cooked it becomes the same color as lobster as we all know red just a bit darker so it has to be something else ....

By the way those that never tasted octopus you don't know what you are missing yum yum lol ....

Nova Scotia, Canada
Level Contributor
14,867 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: a horrible dish called "purple"

I agree with gat0. Like most things, when it is well prepared it is delicious. Here is an interesting article on preparing octopus.

http://www.kalofagas.ca/2009/07/07/grilled-octopus-xταπόδι-σχάρας/

There is a Austurian restaurant in Havana that serves grilled octopus. It is eaten throughout the Mediterranean.

montreal
Level Contributor
11,286 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: a horrible dish called "purple"

Your right Mad problem is 99% of people don't know how to cook it as i always have a kick at work when people say i had a taste of Octopus and it was no good and when i ask them were they they taste this they tell me they bought a can duhhhh now that is gross ...

This past October in Greece i had some and have to say really enjoy it as to me its nothing new as i have eaten it lots of times and never once i can say i did not like it ...

Ontario Canada
Level Contributor
1,635 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: a horrible dish called "purple"

Hate to disagree but I've had it in Portugal and it's awful. My wife lived in Tunisia for a few months and it was a staple there - she hates it too.

montreal
Level Contributor
11,286 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: a horrible dish called "purple"

TravelDougA A Portuguese that did not know how to cook Octopus never heard of it lol .

The taste its not for everybody but when growing up as a kid in Portugal we use to eat octopus once in a while as we would eat it more often problem was it was expensive so had to stick to the old Sardines or Cod Fish .... ...

Ontario Canada
Level Contributor
1,635 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: a horrible dish called "purple"

OK, next time I'm in Greece I will try one small bite and come back to tell you I still hate it. It may be worth mentioning that I also hate any and all wild red meat, smoked anything (including salmon), caviar and a whole lot of other things some people seem to love. My wife says I'm picky but I remind her that she hates octopus too.

I do like rum though, so I'm not all that bad.