We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

blau varadero

London, United...
Level Contributor
17 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
blau varadero

Hi im off to the Blau Varadero in January and was just wondering if there is a dress code at any of the restuarants cant wait first time to Cuba

Ajax, Canada
Level Contributor
391 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: blau varadero

You will have a great time at the Blau, its a beautiful Resort, and I'm sure you will love Cuba.

The A La carte restuarants require long pant and closed toes shoes.

Gloucester, United...
Level Contributor
258 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: blau varadero

long trousers for the a la carte restaurants

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
40 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: blau varadero

You will really enjoy the Blau, Itself and the people who are employed there really make the experience very much worth it, and the people of Cuba are very genuine and friendly, get to learn a little about them and their culture, they see you too are genuine and welcome you as family very quickly! As for the dress codes, yes indeed,Gentlemen: Long pants, closed shoes, shirts with sleeves at the evening buffet and a la carte restaurants. At the buffets in the evening you may be able to get away with decent 3/4 length shorts way below the knees (the styles with pockets, belts, but not board short type) but you may run the risk of running into an overzealous attendant. Breakfast and lunch, anything relatively decent that you would not hesitate to wear into town for example. Ladies: Dress with good taste for the a la cartes as you would for any nice eatery you would go to back home, and the regular buffets, anything comfortable and tasteful that you would wear as for going into Varadero for example. Note to all, the lunchtime buffet by the pool is a little more lenient, especially on very hot days for more beach oriented wear (shirts and shoes /flip/flops required!) to be worn, the staff does not expect you to go running back to your room to change just to come back for lunch!

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
4,886 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: blau varadero

On our last trip to the Blau, in January this year, I did notice the sign outside the buffet that said "No shorts pants", but I had already been in there wearing my shorts pants for about a week and a half before I noticed it. And I wasn't the only one. For the whole two weeks, I would estimate that between 30% and 50% of the men in the buffet were wearing shorts at supper time. So the rule is definitely not enforced.

But for sure, at the a la cartes, it is expected that men will wear long pants.

As for the lunch buffet at the pool, I think I saw men with no shirts, and women with shorts and a bikini top. Myself, I would always wear a shirt at any place where I eat, but i don't think there was any particular rule at the lunch buffet, as, after all, it is right by the pool.

Vancouver
Level Contributor
5,614 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: blau varadero

Search the Blau on YouTube....pretty sure you will get the dress code after some more research.

London, United...
Level Contributor
17 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: blau varadero

Thanks for all your replys

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
578 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: blau varadero

I'm off to the Blau in December.

So are we talking proper long grown up trousers or will jeans suffice?

Trousers and shoes is all a bit too much like being at work for my liking. Will I get away with jeans and casual(closed toe) footwear?

65 sleeps, not that I'm counting of course.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
4,886 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: blau varadero

I have jeans, but they are not blue denim. They are mostly in grey, khaki, or a dark green color (sears.ca/product/…633-000266189-04514-0297). I usually wear a short sleeved shirt with a collar. As for the shoes, I almost never wear any kind other than deck shoes (called boat shoes in some places: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boat_shoe ). Never been turned away from an a la carte with this combination.

Edited: 16 October 2012, 18:51
british columbia
Level Contributor
753 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: blau varadero

There is no way my husband will wear a long sleeved shirt to the buffet restaurant. I doubt he will even be bringing long sleeved shirts when we visit next month. I find it really hard to believe that a man can't get away with a decent short sleeved, button style shirt.

And seriously, will he really have to wear dress pants to the buffet? What if they are a nice pair of casual pants? Will that suffice? I can understand dressier clothes for the ala cartes, but the buffet restaurant too? Yikes!!

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
4,886 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: blau varadero

Long sleeved shirts are definitely not required. And casual pants are fine. As I said earlier, I wore shorts to the buffet (with a T-shirt). For the a la cartes, a short sleeved shirt is fine, but I think they would prefer something a bit nicer than a T-shirt. Anything with buttons is fine.

For example, this would be OK, with or without the flowers:

sears.ca/product/casual-male-big-tall-island…