We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

hand baggage and rum

Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
409 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
hand baggage and rum

left Cuba on friday and had all my rum cofiscated by security from hand baggage, when did this new law come into force? there were lots of us caught out by this, and we were'nt informed by our travel rep.

Newton Aycliffe...
Destination Expert
for Cuba, Rafael Freyre, Guardalavaca, Holguin
Level Contributor
101,054 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: hand baggage and rum

Sorry to hear about you losing your rum. The new rule came into force in July and there have been several threads about it on the Cuba forum:

Check out mooog's reply #12 at this link, which was the first time anyone had posted about it:

tripadvisor.co.uk/…42172619

Then 2 days later this thread:

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g285732-i398-k55…

It has come up several times since.

Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
1,991 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: hand baggage and rum

Is this just for travellers from the UK? We are travelling from Canada, are we still okay in having it in carry on luggage?Thanks!

Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
281 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: hand baggage and rum

dogsrule, this is for everyone. If you don't want to put it in your checked baggage for fear of it being broken, your best bet is to wait and buy it at the airport on your way back after going through customs there.

Vaudreuil-Dorion...
Destination Expert
for Cayo Ensenachos
Level Contributor
2,910 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: hand baggage and rum

Nope Cuban rule....no matter where you are flying to. You have to put the bottles of liquids in your checked baggage or wait and buy in duty free and then you can carry on in your carry-on.

Newton Aycliffe...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
101,054 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: hand baggage and rum

Cuba has come into line with the rest of the world on this issue. No liquids in carry on luggage.

I always buy mine at the Duty Free anyway.

Consett, United...
Level Contributor
20,364 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: hand baggage and rum

They do say 'no liquids' at all. They also say that things like foundation, lipsticks, body sprays and the like will be taken off of you.

This past Oct, I had toothpaste, lippe, and a body spray. Never took it from me.

My hubby had liquid deodorant sticks, and a few other liquids.

These where all in the 100mls rule ,a s per rest of the world.

Nothing was taken from us.

I did Finnish my water and pop waiting in the queue, so don't know if they would have been taken.

Vaudreuil-Dorion...
Destination Expert
for Cayo Ensenachos
Level Contributor
2,910 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: hand baggage and rum

It's liquids and gels to be exact. 100 ml max per bottle max what fits in a 1 L clear bag (I think it's a litre) . But they are in line with the rest of the world's restriction on carry-on liquids and gels.

Newton Aycliffe...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
101,054 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: hand baggage and rum

diva:

They would have confiscated your water and other drink had you not have finished it. Well they should have anyway if they follow their own rules.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
579 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: hand baggage and rum

Is there much difference between the price of rum at the airport compared to buying in town?

Consett, United...
Level Contributor
20,364 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: hand baggage and rum

Yes I know it is liquid and gels, but over the tannoy they were announcing ALL LIQUIDS,

Bellagio, yes I was hoping to challenge the drink rule, as a diabetic fluids can not be refused.