We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Anyone ever bought clothes in Varadero?

Altrincham, United...
Level Contributor
539 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
Anyone ever bought clothes in Varadero?

39 sleep until heading to the Blau!

I'm reading that Dec weather can vary a lot. As I only have 15kgs luggage allowance I'm thinking that if it does get chilly then buy a fleece or hoody or similar when I get there. I'm sure anything in the hotel would be expensive so maybe the market. The same with trainers. I'll be doing excursions such as horse riding and the jungle tour. On previous trips I've taken an old pair of trainers I don't mind getting dirty. But with limited luggage space I'm considering buying some there.

It's a choice between £35 for another 5kgs or buy when I get there.

Any input or thoughts on prices of clothes would be useful.

Many thanks

Fredericton, Canada
Level Contributor
2,133 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Anyone ever bought clothes in Varadero?

yes you will be able to buy a hoodie, there is actually, closer to calle 62 some nice clothing/shoe stores. Also @ calle 35, going west, (beach side) there is a general store, so to speak and you would be able to buy clothing there, as well as shoes. Last year I forgot my running shorts, and for something that specified I was not able to find what I wanted in my size. Something would be there for you but depending on where you stay, it will be a taxi or bus ride into the village.

Barcelona, Spain
Level Contributor
15,713 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Anyone ever bought clothes in Varadero?

I live in Havana and can honestly tell you that 95% of the time you will be simply ripped off, The clothing here is all over priced!. Having said this the best area in Varadero to shop for clothes is in "Plaza las Americas" You'll find stores such as Benetton, Guess, Mango etc.. (Smaller versions)

Altrincham, United...
Level Contributor
539 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Anyone ever bought clothes in Varadero?

Thanks Sax and DD.

It's the price thing too. £35 ($55 Can) for an extra 5 kgs or buy stuff there, then probably leave behind. If I can pick up a fleece and footwear for cheap why pay Thomson airlines even more?

I'll definitely be wanting footwear. Trainers take up a lot of space and I'm not horse riding in flips flops, tried that before and not a good idea. A pair of canvas deck pumps or espadrilles will do.

I'm not fussed about labels, just something that will do for 2 weeks.

Edited: 11 November 2012, 14:04
Ottawa ON Canada
Level Contributor
435 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Anyone ever bought clothes in Varadero?

Maybe you could pickup something at the duty free. The clothes I've seen in stores in Cuba were not well made.

Barcelona, Spain
Level Contributor
15,713 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Anyone ever bought clothes in Varadero?

Ditto, Majority of stuff are all samples, defects etc..

I know this firsthand my company processes importation of clothes for the Cuban government.

Edited: 11 November 2012, 14:18
Bolton, United...
Destination Expert
for Cayo Guillermo
Level Contributor
6,215 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Anyone ever bought clothes in Varadero?

I think it best maybe to travel in trainers because if you have to buy a pair in Cuba the chances are they would need wearing in and they probably would rub you if you are doing quite a lot of walking. Other than that I think I would be inclined to buy another 5kgs.

Edited: 11 November 2012, 14:33
Altrincham, United...
Level Contributor
539 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Anyone ever bought clothes in Varadero?

My Trainers on a long haul flight? That really would not be fair on the rest of the passengers. Odour Eaters see them and run away.

Around about half way across the Atlantic I would probably be asked to leave.

montreal
Level Contributor
10,219 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Anyone ever bought clothes in Varadero?

Why not buy another pair before you leave and if they stink on the plane hey maybe you will get your own section of seats just for you ,

If you think you can get a good pair in Varadero for cheap you better think twice as stores that have a better quality of clothes or shoes you will pay way to much money for them .

By the way i have done most of those stores with Cuban friends and trust me not much of a choice and im not picky as you go to Cuba for beaches and to have fun not for shopping ....

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
19,633 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Anyone ever bought clothes in Varadero?

Personally I would never buy clothing/shoes in Cuba unless it was from a black market tienda selling all the stuff that tourists bring as gifts - in that case there's great deals to be had. Otherwise it's almost always overpriced crap.

Honestly, re-think your packing... 15 kg is more than enough weight for a resort vacation in a tropical country...

Good luck.

Cheers,

Terry

Altrincham, United...
Level Contributor
539 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Anyone ever bought clothes in Varadero?

I see your point Terry, I've packed that sort of amount on round the world trips. But it's the unpredictability of the Cuba weather in December. Hot in the day but possibly cool at night.

I'm going to pack for summer weather. If I need an extra fleece or similar I'll get one there, otherwise it is of course about layers.

My thinking came about having seen a thread about how cool the evenings can be, which surprised me. If I do get chilly I shall warm myself with some of Cubas finest rum.