We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bringing Raid or other bug sprays?

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
13 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Bringing Raid or other bug sprays?

I have had several bad experiences in the past with bugs in our room (I know they are a part of travelling to the tropics) but I was wondering if anyone has brought Raid or other bug repellents with them and if they experienced any problems?

Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
116 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bringing Raid or other bug sprays?

If you bring food to you room, it will encourage ants to come and visit. I always take ant killer with me. I haven't had a problem with any other bugs with the exception of Mosquitos. Always bring repellent

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
13 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bringing Raid or other bug sprays?

What kind of ant killer do you take?

Grande Prairie...
Level Contributor
544 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bringing Raid or other bug sprays?

We had some teeny tiny crawling things in our bathroom... Don't think they flew but I wished I had packed the raid not just thought about it.

Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
116 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bringing Raid or other bug sprays?

Sorry I didn't take the bottle home but I got it at CDN tire. It was a small square red bottle. The ants take the poison back to the colony.

Fredericton, Canada
Level Contributor
2,441 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Bringing Raid or other bug sprays?

That's good stuff if you have the time for it to work. It's a combination of sugar syrup and borax.

Winnipeg, Manitoba
Level Contributor
115 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bringing Raid or other bug sprays?

We pack mosquito coils to use on the outside patio/deck in the evenings, (used them quite abit in Mexico).

We also take Deep woods off.

The tiny ants are quite harmless & look for water, that's why we have them mostly in bathrooms.

And as CaperNS mentioned, don't leave food exposed in the rooms.

Nova Scotia, Canada
Level Contributor
151 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bringing Raid or other bug sprays?

While staying at 2 different resorts on far eastern part of the Varadero strip, some people were bothered by sand fleas at night. I used repellent on my feet and never had any bites. Hope this helps.

Winnipeg
Level Contributor
383 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bringing Raid or other bug sprays?

I usually take a bug repellant, D15, and a can of Raid. I forgot this year, and ended up with some mosquito bites. I was on the patio at night and left the door open slightly, and of course the light inside attracted the mozzies. I woke up in the morning and had some bites. That was when I realized I had forgotten to pack it this year! Bring it along just in case and you won't be sorry IMO.

Fredericton, Canada
Level Contributor
2,441 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Bringing Raid or other bug sprays?

Haha....good old D15.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
13 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Bringing Raid or other bug sprays?

Did any of you have problems with customs or the airlines bringing raid or ant killer in your checked baggage?