We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

different iberostars

Renfrew, Canada
Level Contributor
279 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
different iberostars

looking for a first trip to cuba feb 21

narrowed down to iberostar tainos or iberostar laguna azul

difference please?

i see one if a lot smaller than the other one

anyone been to both?

Grande Prairie...
Level Contributor
544 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: different iberostars

we just returned from tainos and have no complaints, was our first cuba experience.....staff and food are excellent and we wanted smaller resort so this was perfect....we liked the bungalow idea..... not super fancy but definitely clean and nice. .beautiful beach......and closer to the town which we liked

Mont Tremblant...
Destination Expert
for Cayo Largo
Level Contributor
6,352 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: different iberostars

You absolutely cannot go wrong with either property.

The Tainos is much smaller, if that makes a difference to you.

The ILA is newer, and I really enjoyed having breakfast at the beach restaurant (from which you can see the beach). And while the ILA has a lot more rooms (over 800), it is very well laid out, and it's very easy to find your way around. Also, lots of rooms face the ocean, so you could very well end up with a partial oceanview even if you book a regular room. It also has 4 pools - two large ones in the center of the resort, and two smaller ones on each side, which are quieter.

Kuujjuaq, Canada
Destination Expert
for Prince Edward Island
Level Contributor
4,520 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: different iberostars

How much difference are they in price is my main question? I've been to the Tainos and booked again for March. I have also visited the Laguna Azul so can offer a general comparison. As Corry said, it depends a lot on the size of resort you prefer. If you would rather have a smaller more intimate resort where you get to know the staff well I would say absolutely the Tainos. If you're looking for a newer resort that is quite big and lots of swimming pools but you might not get that same connection with the staff I would say the Laguna Azul. The LA is very nice and as I said one of the newer resorts, but I found it quite a large hotel for my taste. The Tainos on the other hand is much older(well maintained however with an excellent beach) and small with an excellent longtime staff that make your stay and you can request a bungalow(no extra charge) rather than the main hotel section depending on which you prefer. I also found the beach nicer at the Tainos, although the LA wasn't bad either. I would assume there is a price difference so it should come down to what you want to spend and which style you prefer. For me the better value is absolutely the Tainos but I would also stay at the LA in a heartbeat. You have a good dilemma as neither decision will be wrong, just one more right than the other.

Edited: 30 January 2013, 17:35
Renfrew, Canada
Level Contributor
279 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: different iberostars

not much price difference tainos is 2700 and laguna is 2920

Kuujjuaq, Canada
Destination Expert
for Prince Edward Island
Level Contributor
4,520 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: different iberostars

Maybe I am just a poor Graduate student but to me that's a lot. Is that per person or just overall? If that is overall then yes it isn't a terribly big difference. In that case I would say, which of the two styles most appeals to you? A little more luxury at the ILA but as I said it is a bigger resort. The Tainos is older but has an amazing staff. In the end only you can say which is better for your needs.

Edited: 30 January 2013, 18:10
Renfrew, Canada
Level Contributor
279 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: different iberostars

thanks that is for the two of us flying out of ottawa ontario

would you recommend any other resorts maybe we should look at

2900.00 is getting up there

Kuujjuaq, Canada
Destination Expert
for Prince Edward Island
Level Contributor
4,520 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: different iberostars

I am biased but my preference is Iberostar hotels. You could also look at the Iberostar Playa Alameda but I still think the two you have in mind are better options. Iberostar Varadero(top rated resort in Varadero) is probably way out of your budget. I might also look at either the Blau Varadero or Blau Marina as other options. The Blau Marina was once managed by Barcelo and was absolutely terrible but by all accounts Blau has really turned it around and it now ranks in the top 10. If you're looking for a budget hotel the Tuxpan has a pretty good reputation but I can't speak to it personally. If it were me I'd be choosing between the one previously mentioned.

New Brunswick
Level Contributor
889 posts
216 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: different iberostars

Another vote for Iberostar Tainos. Small - almost intimate but the great Tainos staff makes a big difference in my book. I seriously think that Tainos would deliver a better vacation experience.

northwest ontario
Level Contributor
2,096 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: different iberostars

We choose the Breezes Varadero this year. I went to ILA last year and really like it but this year my main priority was proximity to the golf course for dh.

BV is closer to town and older. I'm hoping that the landscaping will reflect its age and be especially beautiful. It also sounds as if they have (or nearly have) completed a total renovation of the property.

Cheers

hartlepool, united...
Level Contributor
4,812 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: different iberostars

I'm really glad I saw this post as I'm considering the Iberostar hotels for next year. At the moment Im leaning towards the Laguna Azul, but still willing to consider the others. I'm after a big, stylish hotel that is lively and well-located. I don't have any kids but dont mind a hotel that caters for families. I've considered Cayo Coco and Holguin province but I think I'd rather be somewhere that's a bit livlier, esp on an evening. The ILA looks stunning.