We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Never been to Cuba - thinking of going in July - advice?

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
580 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Never been to Cuba - thinking of going in July - advice?

My sister and I - 50-60 years old but not 'old'.... are thinking of going to Cuba - most likely Veradero for 2 weeks in mid July. Can everyone tell me - what wll the weather be like? Is it rainy/storm season? We can get a 2 week trip at a really good price in July. Which hotels have 'good' food? Nice beach? How much do you tip? Can you use Canadian dollars? So many questions sorry! Been to Dominican and Jamaica. Thanks!

Midland, Canada
Level Contributor
977 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Never been to Cuba - thinking of going in July - advice?

if you look on the right side of this page you'll see everything you will need to know,read up and if you have any other questions just ask.

Newton Aycliffe...
Destination Expert
for Cuba, Rafael Freyre, Guardalavaca, Holguin
Level Contributor
97,313 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Never been to Cuba - thinking of going in July - advice?

jmaci:

As regards the currency you should take Canadian dollars and change them into the local currency, the CUC (Cuban Convertible Pesos) when you arrive in Cuba. The Cuban currency is a closed currency and cannot be purchased outside of Cuba.

In July it will be hot and humid, If you are thinking of going to Varadero check out this map of the resorts:

wikimapia.org/…b

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
1,309 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Never been to Cuba - thinking of going in July - advice?

If you do not mind very HIGH humidty and temperatures around 35 C. then July would be fine. Personally 2 weeks in that heat would not be for everyone. Breezes Bella Costa in the villa section would be a good choice.

Edited: 18 February 2013, 00:23
North Bay, Canada
Level Contributor
1,710 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Never been to Cuba - thinking of going in July - advice?

It'll be smoking hot. nothing here in Ontario can compare to that heat & humidity.

ontario
Level Contributor
1,320 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Never been to Cuba - thinking of going in July - advice?

I must defer to The comment:"Nothing here in Ontario can compare to that heat&humidity"and that person was from North Bay??~Lol~Try Living in Toronto or anywhere in the GTA~~We Always travel to Cuba in July~Sorry ,but while it can be+38 degrees, with the Humidity, here at home~It is Never that bad in Cuba!~Remember, you always have the Beautiful ocean, Palm Trees, Breezes at the beach~Sadly, We do Not have this here in the Urban Jungle, we call Home.. I say go for it!~The prices are great, You have less people at most resorts..This is why I call Cuba, in July~My "Cottage'!!!!

North Bay, Canada
Level Contributor
1,710 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Never been to Cuba - thinking of going in July - advice?

defer away.....it's not a debate as to where it's hotter GTA vs Cuba....simple geography would show that

Edited: 18 February 2013, 02:38
Gibsons, B. C...
Level Contributor
978 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Never been to Cuba - thinking of going in July - advice?

It is also hurricane season in July.

Mont Tremblant...
Destination Expert
for Cayo Largo
Level Contributor
6,249 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Never been to Cuba - thinking of going in July - advice?

Definitely very hot and very humid. If you do go, make sure the resort you choose has an air-conditioned buffet, and not an open-air one, so that you can escape the heat at meal time.

And do not expect relief at the pool or in the ocean - both will be warm as well!

Edited: 18 February 2013, 03:10
ontario
Level Contributor
1,320 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Never been to Cuba - thinking of going in July - advice?

Well , Now~~To Each His Own~Been to Cuba 7 times in July..Just Saying..And No~it is Not a Debate,,Just My Own Opinion.I do not have a "Cottage" up North, Or a Pool~So I am advising the above poster of my Thoughts..What is your point?";p~.since You clearly live in North Bay~ and Not the GTA.~Cheers..

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
580 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Never been to Cuba - thinking of going in July - advice?

Thanks all! We are not afraid of some hot weather. I'm kind of a sun worshipper... love it! I will be at the pool/ocean most of the day anyway. Just hoping not to hit monsoon rains.... we wll take our chances!

I learned a lot reading the notes at the side - thanks!

Now can people tell me the good and not so good 3 1/2 and 4 star resorts? Looking for decent food, friendly staff, and a nice beach and pool. We are not 'prissy' and don't need a 5 star room, just something clean and somewhat comfortable.

We will be there for the sun/beach/pool/drinks!

We prefer more of a family resort than a young singles party place.... but not a boring place! nice friendly place where the food isn't too bad, and maybe a bit of a show at night - that kind of thing.

Thanks everyone for your thoughts!