We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Swimming with Dolphins

Toronto
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Topic
Swimming with Dolphins

Hi,

!st time to Varadero. My wife would love to swim with the dolphins.

Do they have excursions for this?

Thanks in advance.

UK
Level Contributor
1,163 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Swimming with Dolphins

Try the search function... there's loads of info in previous posts about this

Teignmouth, United...
Level Contributor
489 posts
178 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Swimming with Dolphins

Simply, the answer is YES, the Varadero Delphinarium is included in an excursion, or you can just go there on it's own... most peeps that have been (including me) think that the water is a bit murky and that the one at Cienfuegos is much better...

ATB,J.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
574 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Swimming with Dolphins

We have done the one that is not at the Dolphinarium. There is another one that is a 1/2 day excursion that takes you to the one in the ocean. You can inquire at the hotel and book there. The water at the Dolphinarium seems to be quite dirty so we preferred the one in the ocean.

with this post, you'll get many negative answers to follow, as with anyone asking questions relating to the dolphin swim.

Just go and do what you want to do and never mind the negative opinions...

We had an absolute blast on our swims..

ontario
Level Contributor
864 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Swimming with Dolphins

The one in the ocean was awesome!

Windsor, Canada
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Swimming with Dolphins

Do the catamaran trip! I believe it was ~$100. You get to sail into the ocean and swim the dolphins (by the way they take a picture and send to your hotel if you want to buy one) as well as snorkel. You also get a lunch on a private island owned by marina goviata which was just ok but overall it was extremely fun and you get all the booze you want on the boat and the island.

Just make sure that you ask them on the day of the trip if the weather is Ok enough to take you to the coral reef. We had to snorkel in a different site because they couldn't access the normal snorkelling site.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
1,216 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Swimming with Dolphins

The water at the Dolphinarium is not dirty,it is open to the lagoon/sea,it is because it is situated in a lagoon and the water is brackish and therefor looks a dirty brown colour.If you go to the marina Chaplin next to it you will see what I mean,or even look along the waterfront of the lagoon.

Ian.

Edited: 11 April 2013, 09:49
Ontario
Level Contributor
8,996 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Swimming with Dolphins

" the water is brackish and therefor looks a dirty brown colour."

Yes, just the sort of place you would never find a wild dolphin. They prefer clear, deep water. As far as it being "clean", well, it is the dolphins' "toilet". The tide does what it can, but basically you are swimming in a sewer. Enjoy!

NA
Level Contributor
550 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Swimming with Dolphins

"... basically you are swimming in a sewer. Enjoy!"

So, if you're comfortable at a swim up bar, you'll be OK with this?

[8-)

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
574 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Swimming with Dolphins

iriemon...

hahahahahahahaha...

Thanks for the laughs this morning!

toronto
Level Contributor
463 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Swimming with Dolphins

Irie youa re hilarious!

Anyway, I am against caging dolphins for profit...think of it this way, would you pay to swim with caged human beings and take pics?

meh!