We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mosquito's

Deer Lake
Level Contributor
232 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Mosquito's

Any information on the amount of mosquito's one might expect in May in Varadero?

Had a some trouble as a result of them in Domincian Republic last fall and definately do not want to repeat that.

Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
123 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Mosquito's

We have been to Varadero at the end of April / first of May, we didn't see any mosquitoes. I heard that the further you go out on the peninsula, the more mosquitoes there are, but I can't speak from experience.

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
1,228 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mosquito's

I've always seen lots of mosquitos all year round. Definitely bring bug spray with Deet with you and I wouldn't wear perfume or scented body spray/lotion. 99% of the time these people that rant on here about bed bugs have actually encountered mosquitos (or sand fleqas); the mosquitos are a whitey-grey colour so harder to see but you sure feel it!

Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
123 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Mosquito's

Just back from Varadero Saturday and we were lucky, didn't see a single mosquito, although my friend had a few sand flea bites on her legs from being on the beach in the evening.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
1,216 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mosquito's

mozzies start to be a pest late june through july.You are more likely to encounter the sand fly,most people blame the mosquito,but usually it will be the sand fly that gets you.

Ian.

New Brunswick
Level Contributor
800 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mosquito's

We've yet to see a mosquito in 16 trips to Cuba and we've been to 7 different areas on the island. We've travelled any time between December to May.

Midland, Canada
Level Contributor
977 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mosquito's

i've never seen a mosquito either in cuba but a friend of mine just came back tuesday night and said they were brutal at night.

Deer Lake
Level Contributor
232 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mosquito's

Thanks for everyone's input

Toronto
Level Contributor
1,173 posts
194 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Mosquito's

Yes there are mosquitos we were just there Mar 28- Apr 4th, we saw them in our room and as usual they found me quite tasty. Happens every trip and in every part of Cuba. Heck last November they were spraying in the city of Trinidad in the homes due to Dengue fever showing up thanks the the little pests.

It just is a fact of life in any warm climate, take your sprays and treatments and despite the little pests enjoy your trip anyway. (Oh if if you can swat and kill a few of them while you are there please do)

montreal
Level Contributor
10,161 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Mosquito's

Same here have been to Varadero 6 times and yes lots of mosquitoes as we have been in August ...April and May and one month was not better then the other so bring a good repellent and you will be fine .....

10 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Mosquito's

Well my 2 centavos: Seen mosquitoes only when traveling in June July. Never been a problem in winter. Though we stay in resorts closer to town. They're not the big nasty ones we get in Canada either. Tiny little things. Still bite pretty good though :-)