We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Iberostar Varadero

Ireland, Europe
9 posts
Save Topic
Iberostar Varadero

Our tour operator(Sunworld Thomas Cook) has just canceled its programme to Cuba from Ireland, We were to stay at Iberostar Varadero from the 25th May 14nts.

They gave us three options?

1. Dominican Republic

2. Money Back

3. Other Destination in one of their brochures.

WHAT TO DO?

PS.We were really loooking forward to cuba

Regards

Horse

Ireland

toronto
Level Contributor
43 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Iberostar Varadero

Iberostars are good resorts and very well known.... if you wern't planning to go anywhere eles if you cancel i would reccomend you go...veredero is a beautiful beach and we had an amazing time, but we didnt stay at the iberostar

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
296 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Iberostar Varadero

Take the money and book with another tour company. You will never regret visiting Cuba and its wonderful people. We are off in April for our 11th trip - two weeks in Varadero at the Sol Elite Palmeras. We have stayed at a number of Melia Hotels (4-5*) as well as the Villa Cuba Hotel - we love them all. See what you can do to stay on track for a lovely trip to Cuba. We have been to the Dominican Republic (Puerto Plata) as well and while it was nice it doesn't compare to Cuba.

Ireland, Europe
9 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Iberostar Varadero

There is no other company available in Ireland, will have to go via Uk.

Regards

Horse

Somerset England
11 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Iberostar Varadero

You have to go to Cuba. It's worth getting your money back and doing a bit of shopping around. As long as you can get to Gatwick through a connection then you'll be fine. The last time we went to Cuba we met a couple from Dublin who did just that - Via Gatwick. Cuba is a fantastic place so don't let a tour operator put you off. Its always worth a try by asking Sunworld for compensation - that might pay for your flight to Gatwick!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,067 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Iberostar Varadero

Don't mean to be a downer, but you should be aware that the Canadian "Travel Health Portal" has issued a caution for visitors to the DR because of malaria and also Norwalk virus. That (plus the fact that so much flooding and hurricane damage occurred) means that there are lots of cheap trips to the DR available. I would imagine that the mosquitoes must be awful too.

I'd get a refund and check out other UK sites, I've met an awful lot of people from all over Wales and England in Cuba. Just returned from Maritim Costa Verde in Holguin, met others from Yorkshire, Aberdeen, and Essex (also staying at Playa Costa Verde and Playa Pesquero) so there are lots of other options from England available.

Ontario
Level Contributor
203 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Iberostar Varadero

The caution has been lifted from people visiting DR. I just talked to health canada and all is good....As for DR Punta Cana is absolutely beautiful, and you wouldn't regret a trip there....may I suggest the Grand Paradise Bavaro...my husband and I were there in October 1 month from when the hurrican hit other then some downed trees and a small amount of damage at the airport you wouldn't have known a hurricane had just ripped through there. the resorts work VERY quickly to get things up and running after such an event.

brd
Ontario
9 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Iberostar Varadero

I saw my esthetician this Wednesday (Feb 16). She just came back from her wedding and honey moon week in Dominican. Half the wedding party and the groom fell ill with Norwalk within days of arrival. The groom spent his first night of marrital bliss in the bathroom. It was supposedly blamed on the airline, not the hotel, as only the guests that came with a specific airline fell ill, but still...

toronto
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Iberostar Varadero

Don't go to the Dominican. Beaches aren't as nice and it's kind of dirty. But more importantly, 3 weeks ago there was cancelling of all trips going there because of the Hep A breakout and the Norwalk virus. Ask your travel agent about that! If you need honest answer, just go to an immunization center for travelling (there is one on Bay, just north of College, I think). They are the ones that told us and said that travel agents were just booking the trips and not warning people. So be careful.

I had a really great time in Mexico for my honeymoon. The beach at the resort we stayed at wasn't great but the hotel was AMAZING (Paradisus Riviera Cancun) Totally phenomenonal...first class, all the way.

You know what though? IT's a good thing you are not going to Iberostar Varadero. That is where my husband and I stayed (35 years old) and we are not hard to please and the people at the hotel were soooo rude when you smiled, asked politely, whatever. It actually really affected our trip in a big way.

The beach there was awesome though.

I would get your money back and try and find a trip on your own online. I'm not liking them too much because they suggested Dominican to you (unless you were made aware of the areas it was CURRENTLY affecting).

cheers

St.Catharines
Level Contributor
70 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Iberostar Varadero

We have been to the Dominican Republic and loved it. We stayed at Secrets Excellence. 5 star hotel, beautiful beach, great food and no kids allowed. Secrets is just above the Bavaro Beach area in Uvero Alto. If you pick a hotel on Bavaro Beach and I am sure you will be happy. Check this website for reviews and you will see that people love it there. There are three Iberostar properties on Bavaro Beach nd I know family and friends who have been there. There is also one in La Romana and one in Puerto Plata, but if you are a beach person, stick to Bavaro or La Romana. I also know people who have been to the Bahia Principe, the Bavaro Princess and the Riu hotels. My parents just left today for a return trip to a Riu for 2 weeks. Good luck with your choice! Just keep reading reviews and I am sure you can find something you like.

Toronto
Level Contributor
1,105 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Iberostar Varadero

"The caution has been lifted from people visiting DR. I just talked to health canada and all is good....As for DR Punta Cana is absolutely beautiful, and you wouldn't regret a trip there"

Last week my in-laws came back from there. They are both sick with Norwalk virus. Three weeks ago our neighbours came back from there, the parents and two of their children are all sick with Norwalk virus -- one of them hospitalized. Stay away from DR -- too many horror stories. Cuba, Mexico, Venezuela, Virgin Island, etc.