We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wedding question for Canadians

Prince George...
Level Contributor
213 posts
65 reviews
Save Topic
Wedding question for Canadians

My fiancé and I got engaged in Cozumel in April. We want to elope next year, just the two of us. We are either thinking Cuba or Mexico. My fiancé has been to Varedero, he loved it. I have yet to go. Anyways, what are the requirements and stuff to get married in Cuba? Is their blood work required? Anyone recommend a great resort?

Level Contributor
204 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wedding question for Canadians

We got married at Sandals in Varadero. The requirements three years ago were all paper work. Birth certificates, and parents names. All had to be send in month in advance. No blood work required.

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Camaguey, Cuba
Level Contributor
11,370 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Wedding question for Canadians

If neither of you have been married, all you need is a passport. Some hotels require a birth certificat (not translated), some will ask you to send it before, others not. It all depends.

If you have been married, then you need to have your divorce certificat translated and authentified in the cuban consulate.

Prince George...
Level Contributor
213 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Wedding question for Canadians

Ok thank you! Haha my fiancé had his honeymoon with his first wife 10 years ago at Sandals.. So ya that place is ruled out lol. Thank you for the info!

Ontario
Level Contributor
2,275 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Wedding question for Canadians

www.gocuba.ca/client/tips/show.php?tip_id=10

take a look at this site. And remember a marriage is, whatever country you get married in is a binding contract. Canada has very equal rights for both parties. Not all countries are so for women. So just be sure you are getting something fair for you both.

Paradisus Rio De Oro does an amazing job for weddings and their coordinator is remarkable and passionate about her job, Odaly is a real gem of a person.

Ajax, Canada
Level Contributor
391 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Wedding question for Canadians

We got married at the Blau Varadero and they did a fantastic job, Sabina, the wedding coordinator was amazing.

hfx
Level Contributor
5,760 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Wedding question for Canadians

"Canada has very equal rights for both parties. Not all countries are so for women. So just be sure you are getting something fair for you both."

My niece was married in varadero, the Cuban marriage vows were beautiful, one of the nicest vows that I've heard.

tripadvisor.ca/ShowTopic-g147270-i91-k325576…

Thunder Bay
Level Contributor
516 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Wedding question for Canadians

We just attended the wedding of a friend at Melia varadero - beautiful resort and the wedding was great. She had all positives to say in regards to the wedding planner.

LFS
Waterloo, Canada
Level Contributor
159 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Wedding question for Canadians

I was married in Cuba 6 years ago and think that their "marriage contract" spells out very clearly the husband and wife are equal in all aspects of the marriage and need to contribute equally to support the family and each others goal. To this date my husband jokes that he had the Justice of the Peace use the word"obey" but paid off the the interpretter so she didn't interpret it correctly. I just threaten then that I did the same but the fact that he agreed to do all the cooking and cleaning in the house and wash my car every week didn't get translated. We do have a wedding video and do have Spanish speaking friends but neither of us has taken the other to task.

Enjoy your wedding. It was a wonderful way to be married.

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Camaguey, Cuba
Level Contributor
11,370 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Wedding question for Canadians

The Cuban laws about mariage are irelevant for 2 foreigners getting married in Cuba. The laws that will apply to the mariage, its effects and dissolution are the ones of the first place of residence of the couple after the mariage.

hfx
Level Contributor
5,760 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Wedding question for Canadians

although it might argued that words that are said while not legally binding, are morally binding;

that's my rule of law :-)