We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Places to visit near Varadero?

Basingstoke
Level Contributor
6 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Places to visit near Varadero?

Hi All,

My girlfriend and I are visiting Cuba late Nov - early Dec for 2 weeks. we are spending 4 nights in Havana first and then onto Varadero. Can anyone recommend some places we can go see for a day (but not overnight) - I have researched but not finding alot! We wanted to do the 3 city tour but from reviews I hear its best for a 2 day trip - which we dont really want to do after paying out for the hotel all inclusive etc, and I see doing your own trip to Trindad is tricky due to bus times. so any recommendations to see another town/city, place of interest, historical, cultural etc would be appreciated!

Thanks

Stu

Mississauga, Canada
Level Contributor
493 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Places to visit near Varadero?

If Trinidad is a complete ride off, your could try going to matanzas for the day. The town is pretty close to varadero, maybe 45-60mins away, you can take a taxi and there are shuttles from the hotels to the town (I've been told 10 per person per way). I won't lie, there isn't "much to see" but it is a good way to see true Cuban lifestyle (minus to the hustle and bustle like Havana) . They have a nice little beach, and the beach restaurant is yummy authentic Cuban food (less then 10cuc for 4 huge chicken and rice meals, two pinas and two pop). There is also a cave that alot of tourist go to there. I walked into a so called museum of clocks there, I don't think it was much of anything .. But at lest the people are friendly and nice.. Make sure you bring your own toliet paper if you need to use the washroom, I had a attendant freak out at me b/c u went to the washroom w/o paying her for paper, I was only going in there for a mirror (which they didn't even have !)

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
11,388 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Places to visit near Varadero?

Trinadad is a great visit. Someplace in my opinion not to be missed. You can likely get hooked up with your tour op for the 3 city tour. Its a long day but very worthwhile. Heres the scoop on it.

Three Cities Tour - City tour of Cienfuegos on the way to Trinidad. Make a short visit to its Central Park. Visit the Monument City of Trinidad, declared World Heritage by UNESCO. Visits to the Municipal Museum, "Palacio Cantero" the Romantic Museum and La Canchanchara bar, with its typical cocktail made from sugar cane. Lunch at Santa Ana Restaurant. Visit to the Che monument.

Adult 89CUC Child 67CUC

Cheers

Panama City, Panama
Level Contributor
16,343 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Places to visit near Varadero?

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g147275-c60658/Varade…

My family visited Trinidad from Cayo Coco - my father loved the train ride but wasn't interested in the town at all.

Tisdale, Canada
Level Contributor
99 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Places to visit near Varadero?

Near Matanzas is the Canimar River. Lovely small resort, very decent restaurant, picnic area, some live music, water vehicles to rent. River water is clear. Toilets worked! Short walks into surrounds are scenic and peaceful. Horses for kids, popular place for the locals. You will not be disappointed. We stayed in Matanzas at a casa and took a taxi for about 40CUC round trip.

Basingstoke
Level Contributor
6 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Places to visit near Varadero?

Thanks for help folks...

bergerman - did you do the day trip yourself? we were really up for it as its ideal for what we want, but I read reviews on here and people said it was far to much for one day and that the stays in each place were so rushed they didnt recommend a day tour? who did you go with?

Leslie - thanks for your idea, I will look into that and check it out!

Regards

Stu

6. Re: Places to visit near Varadero?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 September 2014, 05:18