We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

price of duty on rum???

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
78 posts
Save Topic
price of duty on rum???

Does anyone know what the duty or tax would be on bringing any rum over the 1 liter limit is it worth it to bring a few bottles extra back i will declare them i dont mind paying some extra but if its alot ill think twice does anyone know what the duty would be say on a 4 extra bottles of 5-10 cuc havana club flying into vancouver

UK
Level Contributor
611 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: price of duty on rum???

Check here: http://www.canadiandutycalculator.ca

Remember the system is in place to prevent people from bringing in large quantities. Expect to be paying in excess of what it would cost you to purchase it in Canada.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
19,650 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: price of duty on rum???

Even paying full duty a premium rum bought in Cuba can cost me less than half than what it costs in an Alberta liquor store...

Cheers,

Terry

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
19,650 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: price of duty on rum???

Not to mention the added bonus of being able to bring back bottles that aren't even imported into Canada.

Cheers,

Terry

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
78 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: price of duty on rum???

Yeah it costs like 30 a bottle here in bc 750ml so even if i pay like 15 bucks duty a bottle its still worth it and like you say i would be bringing some rums you cant get here just wondering if anyone knows or has had to pay and how much thanx for your replys

R S
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
287 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: price of duty on rum???

Last Jan we brought extra and declared exactly what we brought. Customs kept the highest alcohol content bottles aside as our allowance and charged us for the lower priced items - payed about $46 for 6 extra 750 ml bottles flying into Ontario - worked out to just under 1.5 times the original cost of the bottle which was fine with us since we brought back liquors that you don't get here. Be honest with what you bring and they will treat you fairly. When he went thru our bags and saw that I had declared everything he let the 8 cans of beer go and then sorted thru the liquors to work to my advantage. My husbands favourite is Legendario and my is Aldabo - both sipping liquors. Try them when you get there.

Kitchener, ON
Level Contributor
133 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: price of duty on rum???

I have cosistantly brought 2 or three botltes each time and have been honest with customs and have yet to pay duty on rum.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
78 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: price of duty on rum???

Thanx i plan on being honest and dont mind paying duty on rum you cant get here as long as im not paying an arm and a leg for it

montreal
Level Contributor
208 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: price of duty on rum???

Have you tried Guanabita de Pinar ?

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
2,564 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: price of duty on rum???

"payed about $46 for 6 extra 750 ml bottles flying into Ontario"

Last three words are key. According to the Canadian Duty Calculator linked above (thanks to the person who posted that!), BC, Quebec and probably some other provinces will take a considerably bigger bite out of your wallet. While you're paying around $7.50/bottle in duty, I might be paying upwards of $20, depending on the bottle. Ouch.

Fredericton, Canada
Level Contributor
1,705 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: price of duty on rum???

I was dinged $15 on a $4 bottle of rum last spring. They were suspicious because I declared 2.5 liters total over 5 separate bottles. So they made me get it checked out. No hassle really ....still a great bargain.