We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Airport Travel

Yellowknife, Canada
9 posts
Save Topic
Airport Travel

It's been a while since I've traveled out of Canada (other than Vegas a few years ago) Should I be sticking right to the recommended 3 hours ahead of departure time?

I am leaving from Edmonton if anyone has gone from there, but any airport tips would be great!

S
Destination Expert
for Cayo Guillermo
Level Contributor
7,457 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Airport Travel

The suggested ,Three hours does seem like a long wait before departure. If you haven't done an online check in , it helps to get in line early and get rid of your bags. You won't have to go through security at that moment , so relax, grab a coffee and make sure all your paper work is in order.

Pace yourself, it's going to be a long day.

Yellowknife, Canada
9 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Airport Travel

Thanks. I travel within Canada often, as home is in another province, so that part is OK. I'll just go with my usual instinct!

Yellowknife, Canada
9 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Airport Travel

Thanks. I travel within Canada often, as home is in another province, so that part is OK. I'll just go with my usual instinct!

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
11,302 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Airport Travel

3 hrs for international travel is correct. It saves the stress of something going wrong thats out of your control. Traffic issues on the way to airport, Long lines at check-in, Longer lines at security. The last thing you want to do is miss your flight. Even with Non Medical travel insurance pretty sure you couldn't claim if you missed it. Advice in post 1 is right on. Grab a coffe and chill.

Cheers

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
4,690 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Airport Travel

Is 3 hours a Canadian thing? Or relevant only to package/charter flights?

We've flown maybe 30 international flights (numerous more domestic) all over the world in past 2 years alone. Never flown an airline in that period with other than 2 hours check-in requirement. Indeed 2 hours is the international practice for minimum time for transit between 'connecting' flights.

Edited: 06 January 2014, 23:53
Nova Scotia, Canada
Level Contributor
14,272 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Airport Travel

Regular Canadian airlines (Air Canada, WestJet) advise 2-hours prior to flight departure for international flights. Charter flights (Sunwing, Canjet) have longer times because some of their staff may need to close the check-in to staff the gate departure desk.

That said, I wouldn’t want to arrive at some airports only 2 hours before the scheduled departure, because if the airport is busy it can take longer than that to check in.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
4,690 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Airport Travel

Thanks for the prompt explanation Mad. My guess was that it was a charter thing. I'll stick to cutting it fine - 3 hrs would have been 30 hours more hours of my life lost in an airport terminal in recent times alone

It's amazing that with security etc etc stuff it actually now takes more time door to door flying than when I was in short pants early in the last century.

S
Destination Expert
for Cayo Guillermo
Level Contributor
7,457 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Airport Travel

Haha, So true.

With all the Technology, Bar code Scanners, Online check in, now a days. How can it be?

Must be all that darn, Safety and Security, Schmazzel.

Fidelito, 30 hours off your life , you say?

Good point! You never know....

One Day I could Wake Up and be Dead!

Canada
Level Contributor
3,701 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Airport Travel

A lot depends upon what's between you and the airport. For me to get to Toronto, especially in the winter months and dealing with potential traffic, losing a half hour or more is not at all unusual. I've also run into mile-long lineups at check-in. So I look to get to the airport 3 hours ahead of time to allow for problems. Cutting it too close just isn't worth the stress.

Algonquin...
Level Contributor
2,401 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Airport Travel

deebob if you wake up your not dead maybe close but not quite.