We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hookah in Cuba?

Toronto, Canada
4 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Hookah in Cuba?

Hey guys,

I'm just wondering if anyone has any experience bringing a hookah into cuba and using on the beach and at resorts. I see how it can be mixed up with other illegal waterpipes, but there is nothing illegal about it. Should I take a chance and bring one?

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Camaguey, Cuba
Level Contributor
11,370 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Hookah in Cuba?

I never took one, but read about reports on the Spanish forum about some people bringing it without problem. Also, Cuban's rules and regulations does not forbid to bring hookah, so it's ok. Just make sure that your hookah wasn't used to smole anything illegal, otherwise the dogs could smell it and you could get into problems when arriving in Cuba.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
19,691 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hookah in Cuba?

Personally I wouldn't bother - Aduana likely won't know what it is so you could potentially be opening yourself up to some unnecessary hassle and who needs that on vacation.

That said, they're somewhat of new fad in Havana... there's a private hookah lounge upstairs above the Arab Union on the Prado in Havana and there's at least a couple of new bars there - one being El Beduino, in Vedado - where you can fire one up.

In Varadaro though?... Roll the dice, take your chances... but at least stay on the resort in a safe tourist enclave where some dumb cop from the campo can't go nuts on you...

Cheers,

Terry

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
3,246 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hookah in Cuba?

I'll go with poster #2 on this one. Nothing worse than a eager-beaver customs officer thinking that he has found the mother of all hasjh pipes in your luggage. Then again, they probably won't know what the heck it is anyways, so you could probably get away with just telling them that it is a coffee machine.

united kingdom
Level Contributor
946 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hookah in Cuba?

Although I have not tried one,I have only heard of cases in the Uk that certain trading standards are trying to take people to court for using them in public places..and people have been allowing children too smoke tobacco through them. They have only been made illegal because of the tobacco smoking?. I am sure some people smoke (Other substances through them?.) If you go too the country :Turkey, they seem too use the hookah everywhere.....You also can buy on Amazon UK!. Ps smoking tobacco in public places in the UK,is illegall.

Edited: 12 January 2014, 09:30
Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
19,691 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hookah in Cuba?

None of that applies to Cuba though...

Cheers,

Terry

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
1,277 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hookah in Cuba?

@Ghostwriter14

I think you mean smoking in public buildings is illegal in the UK, not public places. Anybody can walk down the street with a fag in their mouth in the UK. Besides which, the OP is on about Cuba not the UK.

Regarding the OP - I've not been to Cuba yet (going in February) but I gather you'd look a little odd on your own on the beach sucking on a hookah. Maybe you don't mind that. It's not something I'd like personally as it would make me feel uneasy. I've used one a few times on the beach in Egypt, but they are relatively common place there.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
4,690 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hookah in Cuba?

Hookers in any place in Cuba that tourists frequent.

Ontario Canada
Level Contributor
1,635 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hookah in Cuba?

You spend a lot of money on a holiday. Why risk spending part of that time talking to Aduana or police or worse. If you are put in jail, the policy of the Cdn gov't is to not help you.

Just not worth the risk IMHO.

I spoke to 2 guys at a resort who once bought some weed from a Cuban and ended up flushing it. They realized how they could be turning a one weak holiday into a year or more in Cuba. I've also watched as tourists get pulled out of the line because the dogs sniffed weed on their luggage. Even if the luggage was in the same room they smoked in back home, the dogs will detect it. An hour in the interrogation room is not as much fun as an hour on the beach. The rest of their fellow travelers who were delayed on the bus were not happy either.

My advice, if you want to push limits, go to another island.

united kingdom
Level Contributor
946 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hookah in Cuba?

ahahahaha,yeh sorry,public buildings,...but never say never,here in the UK.

united kingdom
Level Contributor
946 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hookah in Cuba?

@7, "Now that would be novel!,smoking a hooker in Cuba?."