We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

booking resort (memories) seperate from flight

Welland, Canada
Level Contributor
86 posts
Save Topic
booking resort (memories) seperate from flight

I'm looking at going to memories varadero again but do NOT want to fly with sunwing. has anyone ever booked flight separate from memories? did the resort pay for your transportation to/from the airport? or did you have to pay for your own taxi?

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
19,674 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: booking resort (memories) seperate from flight

I'm not a resort person but I'm going to take a wild guess and say that if you're not part of their package deal then there's no way you're going to get a free ride to the resort. That simply doesn't make sense, but I'd love to be proven wrong for your sake.

That said, I'm sure they'd be happy to provide a shuttle service for you, but I bet it'll be more expensive than a simple taxi...

Good luck.

Cheers,

Terry

Welland, Canada
Level Contributor
86 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: booking resort (memories) seperate from flight

thanks terry...that's what I thought too but someone had mentioned in one of my other posts that the resorts still pay for transportation. I highly doubt that, especially considering sunwing is more expensive to book as a package then for me to book their resort (memories varadero) and flight with another provider separately.

Consett, United...
Level Contributor
20,372 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: booking resort (memories) seperate from flight

If you do all the booking separately then you pay for your taxi.

Welland, Canada
Level Contributor
86 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: booking resort (memories) seperate from flight

thanks diva...that's what I thought :) just trying to get all the info...even if I pay 40 CUC each way I'm still saving about $90 as of right now - there's myself and my bff so we would each pay one way. crazy to think it's cheaper to book flight and resort separately from the company that owns it and operates an airline (sunwing)

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
19,674 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: booking resort (memories) seperate from flight

Maybe if you booked directly with the resort itself... or maybe if it was a 5 star... or maybe if you were in an upgraded section... I could see those situations perhaps justifying a free shuttle, but for a run-of-the-mill booking at a "normal" resort I can't imagine them extending the red carpet like that...

I'm sure you'll get a definitive answer shortly.

Cheers,

Terry

Consett, United...
Level Contributor
20,372 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: booking resort (memories) seperate from flight

What you also have to factor in is, what happens if your flight is delayed ?

If you book it all separately and your flight is delayed, for say about a day, you will have to pay the hotel for the extra stay.

If you book it as a package then any delays are all in the price.

So think about that as well.

Just a thought.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
4,690 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: booking resort (memories) seperate from flight

That aside 25CUC MAX each way for a taxi would be right?

Welland, Canada
Level Contributor
86 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: booking resort (memories) seperate from flight

diva not sure what you mean? regardless if I book the whole thing with sunwing or not...if there is a delay they do not extend your vaca. and honestly with their track record of delaying flights with no explanation or BS ones...I'd rather take my chances with another airline. especially considering I'm saving $130. so even with paying $40 for taxi I'm still saving $90. that's worth it to me :)

Halifax
Level Contributor
111 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: booking resort (memories) seperate from flight

Depends which kind of taxi you take, the independents(yellow plates) can be negotiated with and the government taxi's (blue plates) can't. You might get a 25 CUC taxi ride, but I was quoted 40 CUC last time I was at the Varadero Airport - blue plates.

mtpl
Level Contributor
199 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: booking resort (memories) seperate from flight

Same here ($38) from VRA into town when I flew independently this past March. When I approached the drivers they pointed to a sign on the post that stated that price. I had been expecting ~ $25 to 59th. I never checked the plates but it was an official looking cab.

I'm looking to book flights and accommodations separately this time as well, as I will once again split my trip between a casa in Varadero and a resort in Holguin.