We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tuxpan vs Arenas Blancas solymar

Beeton
Level Contributor
201 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Tuxpan vs Arenas Blancas solymar

Planning a trip to Varadero in Apr with 8 adults ranging in age from 40 - 50. Looking for a smaller resort clean, close to town lots of slushie drinks with swim up bar. I am looking at tuxpan or Arenas Blancas solymar. Any thoughts on which one is better. If you can give me some insight on either of these.

Toronto
Level Contributor
939 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tuxpan vs Arenas Blancas solymar

I can help you out with Tuxpan... I'll be returning with my wife for the 4th time in March. Arenas Blancas Solymar, I can't help with as I've never been.

"Looking for a smaller resort clean, close to town lots of slushy drinks with swim up bar"

Your wants:

- Tuxpan is a very small resort (4 floors) compared to other hotels. Everything is easily walkable within minutes.

- The grounds at Tuxpan are extremely clean, we've never had an issue with cleanliness.

- You can walk to town, but would likely take 30+ minutes. It is only a 5 CUC taxi ride.

- Slushy drinks are always flowing. I like the Miami Vice, 50% strawberry daiquiri 50% pina colada.

- Swim up bar is nice; provides shade if you want it and sunshine if you want it.

Additional Positives:

- The best part about Tuxpan, is the resort has the best part of the Varadero beach, it is wide and deep and has its own volleyball court.

- There is a small beach bar practically on the beach, 30 seconds from the beach chairs. This is perfect for quick drink refills, though the best drinks come from the pool side bar (which is 50 seconds from the beach) or lobby bar (which is about 3 minutes from the beach). The beach bar also serves tuna/ham and cheese sandwiches as well as hamburgers and fries.

- If you smoke cigars (I do), there is a decent shop onsite that sells real cigars, or you can venture off the resort to visit the official Habanos shops in town (p.s. never buy cigars from anyone, other than the real cigar shops, period).

- Poolside bar is open 24/7.

- At the Poolside bar during the day, for an additional approx. $10 CUC you can buy a lobster lunch.

- The staff are very accommodating, if you have an issue talk to the front desk.

- The staff always work the same job at the same station (boring for them, but good for us) so you get to know them and they get to know you.

Some Negatives (if these matter to you that is – they don’t to me ):

- Activities from the entertainment crew during the day are limited (ie. Aqua aerobics, and other pool side games)

- Entertainment show at night is your typical Cuban dance routine. Seen one seen them all.

- Beds are on the harder side, though you can request a mattress topper which are great (this may not be the case anymore, I read in a recent review that the resort bought all new beds in 2013)

- Food can be repetitive, but this is pretty standard across Cuba. We always had a meal we enjoyed every time we ate.

For 8 days, 7 nights in April, I would pay up to around the $900 mark tax included and be happy with the SOLID 3.5 star experience that Tuxpan provides. Though, I would not pay more than $1k per week per person in April. Some people (if you read the reviews) pay less than $1k and are disappointed they didn't have a 5 star experience - I would ignore these reviews as they have no perspective.

Any other questions, just let me know!

Edited: 27 January 2014, 14:36
London, Canada
Level Contributor
2,100 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tuxpan vs Arenas Blancas solymar

Hi,

Vegas is right on the money....the only advantage to Blancas is location.....right in town......other than that Tuxpan is the one.

Something wlse....I thiink at one point the service at Solymer is shared with Blancas.....that would be a positive.

Mentioned in this post
Beeton
Level Contributor
201 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tuxpan vs Arenas Blancas solymar

Thank both so much. This makes me feel better about my choice. Now to convince my possie. Do you know if they sell Churros anywhere lol

Toronto
Level Contributor
939 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tuxpan vs Arenas Blancas solymar

No clue.

If none in Varadero, it's a few hour drive to Havana!

visitcuba.com/2012/04/churros-in-old-havana/

Edited: 27 January 2014, 16:31
Mentioned in this post
London, Canada
Level Contributor
2,100 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tuxpan vs Arenas Blancas solymar

We have stayed in a few hotels in Varadero and have never seen it for sale. the only place we got it was in Guardalavaca

Algonquin...
Level Contributor
3,301 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tuxpan vs Arenas Blancas solymar

We always enjoyed the Tuxpan.

Perhaps a little quiet for some but you with a group of 8 are a instant party.

Depends on the crowd that week as well.

Still we have never failed to meet new friends and get all the party we wanted.

Beeton
Level Contributor
201 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tuxpan vs Arenas Blancas solymar

thanks all for your positive comments. I guess it all comes down to make a decision and no matter what don't sweat the small stuff. We will be on holidays and ready to relax with a small dose of party

North Sydney, Canada
Level Contributor
414 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tuxpan vs Arenas Blancas solymar

I have stayed at both resorts. I would recommend Tuxpan. Las Vegas said it all, so I won't repeat. We are going to Tuxpan again in April, Might see you there.... April1st to 15th, and again April 25th to May 2nd. Older resort, nothing fancy, but comfortable, and the staff are wonderful !

Mentioned in this post
9. Re: Tuxpan vs Arenas Blancas solymar

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 January 2015, 06:18