We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kawama fans (and haters too! I'm all about balance)

Ontario
Level Contributor
5,116 posts
65 reviews
Save Topic
Kawama fans (and haters too! I'm all about balance)

Long story short: solo trip. 42 year old woman who wants a beautiful beach, P&Q, and someone else to cook and clean. Tasty beverages a must. Cheap hotel a must. Club Kawama and Cameleon Villas are my two main contenders due to pricing. I like Villas because of the snorkelling, area I've never seen, beach looks lovely…but it's in the middle of nowhere. I am also considering something right in Varadero, closer to the airport, I can toddle out and see live music, walk around the town, etc. if I get shack happy.

It looks like Kawama has absolutely no single supplement for the time I want to go (Apr 21) so that's another plus. Choosing a room though…how many freaking buildings ARE there?! I've seen pictures of a bordello (!), some with amazing terraces…which are recommended?

Algonquin...
Level Contributor
2,419 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kawama fans (and haters too! I'm all about balance)

Kawama is about as close to downtown Varadero as you can get without being right in it.

You can easily walk to many bars and cafe from there.

It has many loyal follower's that I am sure will help you with room selection.

Nova Scotia, Canada
Level Contributor
14,313 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Kawama fans (and haters too! I'm all about balance)

I’ve stayed at both resorts, and from what you are saying I would recommend Kawama over Villas Jibacoa. (My own first choice would be Villas over Kawama, but that’s just me.)

There are a few Kawama devotees on the forum, and some prefer one location over another. I’ve stayed in bldg 6 (or 7?), and in bldg 16, and I preferred 6 (or 7?) because it was a bit quieter and away from the busy area. But ... that was a few years ago, and it would be good to confirm if that area is still considered “quiet”. Mind you, it all depends how many party folks are there!

There is nowhere closer to the airport that fits your criteria. Strangle yourself before considering Islazul Oasis.

Algonquin...
Level Contributor
2,419 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kawama fans (and haters too! I'm all about balance)

Strangle yourself before considering Islazul Oasis lmao.

Take heed there are a couple of other 2 stars downtown you would also would be wise to pass up.

Ontario
Level Contributor
5,116 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kawama fans (and haters too! I'm all about balance)

I will keep that in mind, Madrugada!

I have a real-life friend who has stayed at Kawama 2x and I mentioned today that I was considering it. She looked HORRIFIED and said she wouldn't actually recommend it to someone! I LOL'd and told her I was going in with my eyes open, and that even when I'm spending more, I'm not a fancy-schmancy resort kind of person; we stay in 3* even in Mexico. Once she got over her shock and horror, she went on to talk about how close to the town it is, how safe, how lovely the staff, etc. so I think it's absolutely doable.

I think I'd be leaning more to Villas (and it may still happen. Am a Libra of the worst sort) if I had someone to travel with; it could be kind of isolated if the right people (ie. super obnoxiously friendly to a very shy woman on her own) aren't there. At least if I feel loooooooonely, I can go people watch, right? I would like to try it (or Breezes Jibacoa) but with a friend or my DH.

Nova Scotia, Canada
Level Contributor
14,313 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Kawama fans (and haters too! I'm all about balance)

Cameleon Jibacoa is a fine spot, and tends to attract fairly decent folk who are usually open to including single travellers in activities, meals, etc. There is a fairly loyal contingent of TA members who appreciate it for what it is instead of bashing it for what it isn’t. Reminds me of Dave’s Record Store, “It might not be big, but it’s small”.

Ontario
Level Contributor
5,116 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Kawama fans (and haters too! I'm all about balance)

Okay, the reviews for Islazul Oasis are AWESOME!! That is really quality reading. It seems VERY popular with young women who "befriend" the lifeguards!!!! LOL

PEI
Level Contributor
1,359 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Kawama fans (and haters too! I'm all about balance)

Desmei my dear, You seem to be lost when alone. Hope to help.

I'm a Kawama "fan" and you are right about the rooms. They are everything and all over the place. There is certainly one room for every personality type. It's just a matter of matching them up with each other. First time NA visitors should definitely book a superior room. Especially if only staying a week. Switching allotted room is possible and would be much easier in April. Great beach, great staff, peace and quiet or an easy walk down town. Travelling solo will not be a problem at all staying there. Although it is spread out over a large area, it still feels like a small community. Someone will be watching your back:)

Yarmouth, Canada
Level Contributor
2,887 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Kawama fans (and haters too! I'm all about balance)

I've got friends in town that go to the Kawama a few times per year. Funny thing is, they are 5 star folks here in NS, but are very much attached to the Kawama and what it does (and does not) offer. Those that frequent Jibacoa do so for the same reasons.

Also check out Tortuga and Club Tropical, but stay far, far away from anything called Acazul, Islazul, or ScumBeach.

S

Yarmouth, Canada
Level Contributor
2,887 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Kawama fans (and haters too! I'm all about balance)

I'll also add Mar Del Sewer to my list of places to avoid.

S

Ontario
Level Contributor
5,116 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Kawama fans (and haters too! I'm all about balance)

Desmei my dear, You seem to be lost when alone. Hope to help.

--------

How on earth do you figure THAT? This is my first time traveling alone, and I know what my limitations probably will be.

Thank you for the room advice.

Edited: 29 January 2014, 13:18