We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sunwing - Playa Caleta/Puntarenas Dropped By Sunwing?

Fredericton, Canada
Level Contributor
9 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Sunwing - Playa Caleta/Puntarenas Dropped By Sunwing?

So before Christmas my family and I booked our wedding group at Playa Caleta. Now we find out this week that Sunwing is no longer sending guests there, and they are reassigning us to another hotel. The downside is this hotel is not getting back to us on confirming wedding date availability for the week of April 29th 2014 - and we can't book the hotel until they do! Talk about a frazzled Fiance!

Has anyone gotten married at ROC Arenas Doradas? Can you give me some information on this resort - reviews look great.

Yarmouth, Canada
Level Contributor
2,895 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sunwing - Playa Caleta/Puntarenas Dropped By Sunwing?

I see you are from Fredericton, so I am assuming that you are flying out of that airport.

You are correct - they have dropped the PC & P from the list of resorts offered.

The same is still offered via Moncton and Halifax, however. Just a thought. But not with Sunwing. Air Transat & Canjet.

S

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
17 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sunwing - Playa Caleta/Puntarenas Dropped By Sunwing?

I thought it was just me who couldn't find the Playa Caleta/Punarena on the Sunwing website. I was looking because we just returned from a 2 week vacation and wanted to see the Sunwing write up of what was supposed to be part of our inclusions for this hotel.

I also checked other travel websites and could not find this hotel. I had heard from some of the staff at the Caleta that they were going to be under renovations sometime this year. Perhaps that is why they are no longer taking any bookings?

windsor
Level Contributor
308 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sunwing - Playa Caleta/Puntarenas Dropped By Sunwing?

I just returned last week from there and flew sunwing.....there are renos going on but doesn't affect your stay. I will post the email address for Katty in guest relations.....she is amazing

windsor
Level Contributor
308 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sunwing - Playa Caleta/Puntarenas Dropped By Sunwing?

here is Katty at Playa Caleta/Puntarena e-mail. Also maybe they dropped sunwing because of all the problems their delays have caused......simon.gonzalez@complejoparenacaleta.gca.tur.cu

Saskatoon, Canada
Level Contributor
1,719 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sunwing - Playa Caleta/Puntarenas Dropped By Sunwing?

Please take this as a blessing in disguise IMHO.

Mississauga, Canada
Level Contributor
8,963 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sunwing - Playa Caleta/Puntarenas Dropped By Sunwing?

I seriously wonder who dropped whom , can't see Caleta dropping ANYONE !!!

LENNY

Brantford
Destination Expert
for Varadero
Level Contributor
2,090 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sunwing - Playa Caleta/Puntarenas Dropped By Sunwing?

We Just spent another great week at Playa Caleta,booked with Red Tag (Holasun ,via CanJet.)I have been looking for our next visit and noticed the name has changed to Bellevue Puntarena/Playa Caleta.I have heard some talk about Sunwing being bought out /merging with another travel company ,don't know which one or if it is true.I know in the past few weeks they have had a few problems /delays with their flights .I have travelled with them and stayed at Playa Caleta many times with very few problems.

Looking forward to our next visit to Caleta ...with or without Sunwing

Mississauga, Canada
Level Contributor
8,963 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sunwing - Playa Caleta/Puntarenas Dropped By Sunwing?

Contracts with resorts expire all the time , so there are quite often periods when the property will not be available until a " new " deal is worked out. There is absolutely no point in the second guessing and rumor game as none of us is really privy to the inner workings of either party.

There are lots of people that love this resort and probably as many other opinions. lol

LENNY

morpeth, ontario
Level Contributor
98 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sunwing - Playa Caleta/Puntarenas Dropped By Sunwing?

THe Caleta/Puntarena is now under contract with a Spain company that is making allot of changes. The deal that they brought up to Sunwing was not what Sunwing wanted so they are no longer sending anyone there. No biggie , i usually go through sunwing I just got back from Puntarena and went through nolitours with no problems and am getting ready for my next trip in april. I go through tripcentral and have no issues.

New Brunswick...
Level Contributor
2,717 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sunwing - Playa Caleta/Puntarenas Dropped By Sunwing?

Please tell me that your group all purchased the Worry Free Cancellation insurance from Sunwing? Cancel the trip and rebook it to another resort. Hopefully you used a Travel Agent and they can get this straightened out for you!! Good luck!