We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Lobster in Varadero?

hartlepool, united...
Level Contributor
4,812 posts
139 reviews
Save Topic
Best Lobster in Varadero?

Coming to Cuba for first time in May staying at Paradisus Varadero. We're planning to eat at least a few lunches/dinners downtown, where is considered to serve the best quality lobster? Also what varieties of fish can we expect to see on the menu, both off and on the resort? Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Barcelona, Spain
Level Contributor
15,713 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Lobster in Varadero?

All quite similar any where you go, You might find better quality at the privately owned restaurants though. Fish dishes are usually mainly filet type, Lots of shrimp and calamari to be found as well. I remember having good lobster at Casa de Fondue. You will have excellent lobster right at your hotel as well. Usually found in the a la carte restaurants.

2. Re: Best Lobster in Varadero?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 29 January 2015, 19:53
halifax
Level Contributor
1,085 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Lobster in Varadero?

I can vouch for Barracuda FRESH big lobster smothered in rum soaked shrimp ! We also had it in the Buffet at Breezes, I love Breezes but that lobster was not any where near as good! Hard to cook 300 like you can cook 4 :) The whole meal including desert and wine .....20 CUC served over looking the beach........so nice.

Winnipeg, MB
Level Contributor
485 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Lobster in Varadero?

I had the same as halifax69, lobster smothered in rum soaked shrimp. This was at the paladar called Waco's. Cost was 25 CUC I believe and worth every cent. Came with a salad,garlic toast, potatoes and veggies. Lovely ambiance at this restaurant with excellent service.

Mission, Canada
Level Contributor
279 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best Lobster in Varadero?

I went to barracudas twice...first time was great...second time was horrible...different cook I guess...but it was so over cooked it was like rubber....then I discovered El Rancho...went there 3 times....it was fantastic every time...it was a few more cuc's...not much...but I felt it was a better atmosphere...better waiters....all in all...best Lobster in Varadero...just my opinion...;-)

hartlepool, united...
Level Contributor
4,812 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best Lobster in Varadero?

Thanks a lot for the feedback, it's funny but prior to me posting I'd already had a good look through the reviews and had already narrowed it down to El Rancho and Barracuda - both look great and I reckon Barracuda might be worth checking out simply for the views alone...! :) Just wanted to hear what people on this forum thought.

I know the general feeling is that "you don't go to Cuba for the food", but part of a holiday to me is enjoying good, local food, whether it's basic or not. We're not fussy eaters and will try anything (oh, and we're certainly not the type of people to moan on just cos the resort runs out of lettuce or the french fries don't taste exactly like the one's you get at home....!) ;) I hear there's a lot of pork served in Cuba? I hope so, it's my favourite.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
1,216 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best Lobster in Varadero?

You should try the "Ropa Vieja" (old clothes)and a good place for that is La Compana in Josone park.It is a shredded beef stew,very nice.

If you do the Catamaran trip to Cayo Blanco you can have lobster on the boat,it will cost over and above your free buffet on the island(where there will be lobster as well),but very nice.

I go out about 1 1/2 kms on a pedalo with a cuban friend and dive for our own,plus do some fishing with a hand line then take them back,ask one of the chefs to cook them,give him 5 cuc then down to the beach with a cold beer and eat like a king looking out at the sea listening to some Reggaeton or some salsa.It doesn't get fresher or better than that.

Ian.

Barrie, Canada
Level Contributor
1,944 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best Lobster in Varadero?

I like your style Ian. ...Yeah the lobster from our mutual friend was awesome. ..

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
1,216 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best Lobster in Varadero?

Cheers Phil,looking forward to doing it all again for 2 weeks as of July 18th.

Ian.

Barrie, Canada
Level Contributor
1,944 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best Lobster in Varadero?

Good food you Ian. .I'm sure you will be having a few more lobster with our Cuban friend. .I'm going to Cayo Coco the end of March