We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Calgary or Varadero?

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
125 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Calgary or Varadero?

OK so my 9 year old and I (mom) are either having a stay cation in Calgary (mom says yuck!) or a trip to Varadero (possibly Puerto Vallarta). Hubby & Teen going mtn biking to Utah ( Meh) Right now the only in range pricing is at the Islazul Oasis. How would it be? We love beach the most, pool is good too, eat lots of fruit & fish. I know about sand fleas - not a deal breaker! I would probably only go into town a few times at most. This would not be the whole Cuban cultural trip - more like a recon mission for when the whole family goes when my boys are older for music etc. The flight is less than desirable, but those beaches!!!!! I have been to Huatulco (my fave!), Mazatlan, Jamaica (Negril), Guyabitos. I am not a high flyer, prefer local "flavor". What do you say TA people ? Thanks a ton!

Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
12 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Calgary or Varadero?

Grab some bikes and go Mountain biking and rock climbing in Cuba. Everybody wins.

Coquitlam, Canada
Level Contributor
3,078 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Calgary or Varadero?

Calgary or Varadero ??

This is a joke right ?

Anyways Do not stay at the Oasis .

No way .

Believe me .

Johnny C

Nova Scotia, Canada
Level Contributor
14,431 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Calgary or Varadero?

“Right now the only in range pricing is at the Islazul Oasis.”

Have you read the reviews?

tripadvisor.ca/Hotel_Review-g147275-d151647-…

Have you looked at where that resort is located?

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
11,351 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Calgary or Varadero?

If your stuck on Varadero as a recon mission, spend a few dollars more and stay at a little higher quality hotel. Read the reviews of the properties your looking at, then ask your questions.

Cheers

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
125 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Calgary or Varadero?

Yep already read the reviews - lots of them - just wondering if there were any more opinions out there. I don't care about hard pillows or all night bars or nightlife for that matter- mostly just the beach! There is always that fine line between charming and run down and I was trying to decipher where that is at this place. I am curious that some reviews said that the food was actually better at Oasis than at some of the 4 stars - I don't need a million choices. I was just looking to hear from people who actually have stayed there and are not high end travelers by nature. PS The title was supposed to be funny:)

Ontario
Level Contributor
5,219 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Calgary or Varadero?

I loved the title! I admit that I lol'd.

Have you played with tripcentral.ca at all to compare prices directly? I found it really helpful and chose Kawama.

P.s. I'd want to do Cuba badly enough to consider Islazul, too. Not sure I WOULD, but I'd think about it.

Toronto
Level Contributor
406 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Calgary or Varadero?

Don't book the Islazul Oasis, it's the other side of a canal, you'll need a taxi to get to anywhere.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
38 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Calgary or Varadero?

try Breezes Bella Costa...lots of kids different ages

Ontario
Level Contributor
5,219 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Calgary or Varadero?

What exactly is your budget and when would you want to go?

halifax
Level Contributor
1,085 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Calgary or Varadero?

we did Varadero in January and are going to Calgary in April!! Except for my grand daughter I'd swap Calgary for Varadero in a heart beat :)