We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Varadero hotel food - want Cuban food,

Toronto, Canada
1 post
Save Topic
Varadero hotel food - want Cuban food,

My husband, daughter (13) and I are looking to go to Varadero for the 1st time. I don't want Italian or Chinese or Mexican as many of the hotels list. We would like authentic, local food. What are our options?

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
1,216 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Varadero hotel food - want Cuban food,

You will get authentic Cuban food at your hotel,but if you want to go out to eat you should find it on the menu.La Compana which is in Josone park is good for Cuban dishes,I liked the Ropa Vieja there (shredded beef stew).Kiki's is another good restaurant.Mostly I would say that Cuban food is rice and beans with either pork or chicken,very tasty,but obviously being an Island you will find a lot of fish and lobster done in various ways as well.Enjoy.

Ian.

hfx
Level Contributor
4,221 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Varadero hotel food - want Cuban food,

At kikis they have a combo plate: chicken, pork, rice, beans and some vegetables, very tasty

Toronto
Level Contributor
929 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Varadero hotel food - want Cuban food,

Trust me. The "Mexican", "Italian", etc restaurants are mostly "Cuban Food". It is what they eat. Just might be presented differently under the guise of "Mexican", "Italian", etc... but the majority of ingredients are the same as the locals eat. Pork and more pork, some chicken, white fish, rice, beans, cucumbers, cheese, eggs. Lobsters are abundant, though I do not know if they are a staple in the "every day life of locals".

Ontario Canada
Level Contributor
1,609 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Varadero hotel food - want Cuban food,

The problem is that few tourists want real Cuban. Beans, rice and pork is not the top of most people's priority. Some resorts have a Cuban a la carte and the food is actually quite good but not something I want every night.

Agree that the various names on a la cartes are name only, it's mostly the same stuff available at the buffet on various nights but served to you. Also agree that Josone park has some good choices or ask about private restaurants in Varadero.

Apopka, Florida
Level Contributor
2,269 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Varadero hotel food - want Cuban food,

You should try authentic, local, Cuban food so you will know what it is like. Beans, rice, fatty pork or overcooked fish. Salad is always cabbage, cucumbers, and onion. Breakfast may be eggs and rice.

Now I really love the Cuban people and culture (which is why I have never been to a resort) but the food is a different story. And, trust me, I am not a picky eater.

6. Re: Varadero hotel food - want Cuban food,

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 March 2015, 07:22