We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Canadian $ in Cuba

Level Contributor
50 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Canadian $ in Cuba

I've read the top questions about Cuban Currency and I'm obv missing something so please forgive me if this is redundant...

Are Canadian Dollars accepted in Cuba...say, if we run out of CUP...or does every purchase and tip need to be in CUP?

ugh, sorry...I know this is prob an obv answer to most of you.

Barrie, Canada
Level Contributor
1,944 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Canadian $ in Cuba

Yes Canadian is accepted in Cuba ..Change it to CUC when you get there

Charlottetown...
Level Contributor
360 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Canadian $ in Cuba

You will not typically not deal with the CUP(local currency) but the CUC(tourist currency), lately and ballparked, you are looking at 85ish CUC to 100CAD unless there has been some drastic changes I am unaware of(and expect to be corrected if I am :) ), I will admit I am just going on 2 month old info. Canadian money is accepted sometimes, but you are far better off to just convert to CUC at a bank/cadeca/airport/hotel and shop/pay in the local tourist currency (which once again is CUC)

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
19,650 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Canadian $ in Cuba

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g147270-c109329/Cuba:…

Cheers,

Terry

Panama City, Panama
Level Contributor
14,433 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Canadian $ in Cuba

Referring to CUC as "tourist currency" is not quite accurate as most Cubans use CUC too. (I knew some Cubans who never carried CUP)

Atlantic Canada
Level Contributor
55 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Canadian $ in Cuba

latest xchange rate ---> tripadvisor.ca/ShowTopic-g147270-i91-k489088…

Couertsy of CubaJack...

Charlottetown...
Level Contributor
360 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Canadian $ in Cuba

beardocubauk, I will give you that argument if you want it ;) , but it is also the only currency a tourist will likely see, Hench why I called it the tourist currency,! An experienced Cuban traveler will know the value of the CUP and where to use it though!

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Camaguey, Cuba
Level Contributor
11,172 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Canadian $ in Cuba

" but it is also the only currency a tourist will likely see"

Not to start an argument neither, but that is not exact. What would be exact is to say that it is also the only tourist in an all inclusive will likely see. But thousands and thousands of tourists go to Cuba in casa particulares, even first timers (I see a lot of those on the Spanish forums of TA) and will see and use CUP.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
1,140 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Canadian $ in Cuba

It was amazing this year the number of Cubans who came up to you to see if you had any cuc to exchange for canadian money that someone had given them! People, do not tip in Canadian as they cannot use it and with our exchange rate it wasn't financially worth it to do any exchange with them as we would lose money.

Charlottetown...
Level Contributor
360 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Canadian $ in Cuba

Gengen, yes in the grande scheme of things the Casa staying tourists do have the opportunity to see the CUP, the bulk of Cuban tourists do not though! All inclusivers will not see the CUP, the people who have moved on to Casa's will now the difference!

Toronto
Level Contributor
1,074 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Canadian $ in Cuba

" People, do not tip in Canadian as they cannot use it and with our exchange rate it wasn't financially worth it to do any exchange with them as we would lose money".....

What they can't use it's loonies and toonies, no problem with CAD bills (they can exchange it in the bank/cadeca) .

As for changing their Canadian loose money that they have received in tips, change it for Canadian bills, that way you don't loose on the exchange rate :)