We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What can you tell me about buying Cigars???

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
47 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
What can you tell me about buying Cigars???

Hey Everyone,

I plan on buying cigars in Varadero as a gift for my dad and friends... Problem is I KNOW NOTHING about cigars and I don't want to be taken for a fool :(

What can you tell me about where the best place to buy, where definitely not to buy and what are my best options for brands. My dad smokes Cohiba's which I understand is expensive but what's another brand that isn't so pricey but would still impress the guys back home?

Thanks for any advice!!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,246 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: What can you tell me about buying Cigars???

Start here

http://cgarfan.wix.com/cubancigarinfo#

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
47 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What can you tell me about buying Cigars???

That's great!!!

Can anyone offer me the cliff note version?

Canada
Level Contributor
4,724 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What can you tell me about buying Cigars???

It's been a long time since I've been to Varadero but your best bet would be La Casa del Habanos which I believe is still in Las Americas Mall. Second best place would be a resort store but these can sometimes be sketchy. Where are staying? Perhaps someone can give advice on that particular store. You definitely do not want to buy them from some guy on the beach, a resort worker or anyone else who will invariably tell you that their brother works at the factory. These will be counterfeits 99.9% of the time. You can often get good cigars at a decent price from those guys but they won't be the genuine article and could be confiscated at the airport when you leave. Since you are buying for a friend, stick to a reputable source and ask for an official receipt.

I think that the size of the cigar is often just important as the brand. You said Cohiba which is a great brand although some would say overpriced. Are you interested in a big Churchill, a purito, or something in between? Cohibas tend be be pretty full-flavoured. I'm sure you will get some good suggestions from the resident aficionados.

Edited: 31 March 2014, 05:17
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
47 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What can you tell me about buying Cigars???

Hey Burracho!

Thanks for the advice. I will definitely stick with legit establishments for my purchases - I would be a sitting duck for anyone looking to pull a scam if I didn't, lol.

I'm waiting to find out which Cohibas my dad prefers but I'm thinking I will go for Monte Cristos or Romeo & Juliettes as souvenirs for all the boys back home. I still haven't decided how much I am willing to spend so I guess I will have to see when I get to Varadero.

Canada
Level Contributor
4,724 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What can you tell me about buying Cigars???

You can get packs of 3 or 5 for your friends or tubos which come in a nice aluminum tube and will keep fresh for a long time. Take an afternoon and go into town to the LCDH to make your purchases, have lunch, a few mojitos and enjoy! There may be other reputable places that I'm not aware of that Im sure others can suggest to you. Looking for some good rum to go with those cigars? We can help you it with that too. :-)

Edited: 31 March 2014, 07:37
Bradford, United...
Level Contributor
15 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What can you tell me about buying Cigars???

Hi

Wonder about typical prices of cigars .

Just started smoking a few before travelling to Valadreo in May this year .

Only wanting a box for display plus a few to smoke .

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,246 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: What can you tell me about buying Cigars???

When it comes to Cuban cigars, don't be afraid to try the less popular brands. These are often quality cigars - it pays to do your homework. A Cuban cigar that is freshly rolled is a treat, and can be for about a month or so. The proper aging of cigars is important, and the popular brands that you'll find in the LCDH are often 6 months old. The month and year it was produced is stamped on the bottom of the box. Look for that as that is one way to determine the real deal from the fakes. I find that a 1 year old cigar (or older) has a much smoother flavour. Also, pricing is usually dependent on two attributes - brand and size. Regardless of what we buy and bring home to Canada, the duty and sin tax here make any Cuban cigar a bargain. These cigars are often 3 to 4 times more expensive at home...and they always taste better in Cuba.

Canada
Level Contributor
2,104 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What can you tell me about buying Cigars???

What would a box of 25 decent cigars cost? Not Cohibas or popular brands, but is there a generic best buy? My husband smokes cigars frequently. Here at home he smokes W and D cigars.

Mississauga, Canada
Level Contributor
9,139 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What can you tell me about buying Cigars???

That's a tuff call cause you can get those " Don Thomas " seconds for under $2 each . Your best bet is if there is a cigar roller at your resort as they usually roll up a nice cigar for a fair price. I use the same guy all the time and currently have over 100 of his in my humidor and will be getting more next week.

The " real " ones I usually smoke are Monte Cristo # 4's and after a month or two in the humidor it's hard to tell the two apart !

LENNY

Ottawa ON Canada
Level Contributor
441 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What can you tell me about buying Cigars???

Here's site with pricing info:

http://cgarfan.wix.com/cubancigarinfo