We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tainos Updates

Kuujjuaq, Canada
Destination Expert
for Prince Edward Island
Level Contributor
4,511 posts
87 reviews
Save Topic
Tainos Updates

Just wondering if anyone (Cubatan, pumpkinhead, Javo especially maybe) which block #s at the Tainos have those new walk in showers? I've been in contact with both Ana and Giselle but everytime I ask which #s have been renovated they seem to skip over that single part of the question and tell me just to requests whichever block # I want and they will make it happen. That's very nice, but I have no idea which ones are renovated lol. I think I've heard 21, 26, and 28 for sure but I'm not sold on the location of either of those 3. I prefer one on the back row, rather than being right beside the pool. Any chance #25 or 27 are updated? Maybe that whole side has been completed, not sure. We are usually in #34 but if it hasn't been updated, I'll try a different block. Thanks in advance.

resortsmaps.com/maps/map-IberostarTainos-Var…

Edited: 19 April 2014, 17:04
New Brunswick
Level Contributor
783 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tainos Updates

My understanding is that all the bungalows to the left side of the pool, facing the beach, have been renovated i.e. 21 - 28. 26 & 28 are done for sure because we stayed there back in March.

I really don't care too much because we spend so little time in our room.

Have you decided on a new restaurant to try downtown yet other than Kiki's?

Do you plan on going back to Havana?

Kuujjuaq, Canada
Destination Expert
for Prince Edward Island
Level Contributor
4,511 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tainos Updates

Thanks for confirming Cubatan, in that case we will probably take either 25 or 27. I'm the same way, although wouldn't mind seeing what renovations were done. We also like to spend the end of the evenings on the balcony. Other than that, we're barely in the room.

Not 100% yet on a restaurant for the non-Kiki's meal. I'm leaning towards El Criollo or El Mojito but still looking. Just want a place that serves good Cuban food at a reasonable price. We love getting out and exploring at least a morning or two. Walked from calle 46 all the way to Casa De Al last year. Thinking we'll start around calle 64 and go about half way or a little more this time (maybe have a beer at Josone). Grab a bus to Kiki's after and a bus back to the Tainos late afternoon when we are done eating.

Not going to Havana this time around I don't think and have only been once actually. Our first year we were at Jibacoa so it was only a short trip. I'd personally love to go back because I had a blast. The other half though just wants a chill vacation with as little traveling as possible which is completely fair. She's been great to come along on plenty of long trips in all other other trips despite wanting to spend every waking minute on the beach. Seems right that this time she gets to do just that.

Edited: 19 April 2014, 18:46
Kuujjuaq, Canada
Destination Expert
for Prince Edward Island
Level Contributor
4,511 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tainos Updates

By the way, just a couple little other update stuff.

1) Did they put some huge boulder on the grass near the kiddies pool? Not sure if that's what it is, just looks like a tan coloured boulder. Any idea why? lol. (Cosmetic, blocking wind?)

2) The Paella lunch. Which day is this held again? Missed it last year and couldn't remember which day it was held.

3. Water show. Is it still held in the afternoon on Wednesdays or has that changed? Thanks again Tainos folks.

Edited: 19 April 2014, 19:21
Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
1,216 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tainos Updates

2511 is my home from home,in the middle on the outer fence looking inward,perfect,halfway to beach and loddy bar.

As for the other questions,ask animation team when the water show is and they will tell you.I think there is a board with daily things going on around the pool but I'm always at the beach so cannot confirm.Again cannot confirm what day Paella is as one day blends into another for me,I know the day I arrive and unfortunately the day we depart,in the middle is just dreamtime.

Ian.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
18 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tainos Updates

We stayed in 2312 and 2301, both rooms had renovated bathrooms with walk in showers.

Can't remember which day of the week the pool show was, but it was not wednesday as this would have been our arrival day.

Kuujjuaq, Canada
Destination Expert
for Prince Edward Island
Level Contributor
4,511 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tainos Updates

Ended up requesting #21 or 22. Was thinking 27 or 25. Discounted 27 because we weren't sure if being by the brush area would result in more bugs and 25 simply because it is right by the maid/maintenance building and we'd likely hear stirrings early. Didn't want to be beside the pool so that kind of limited our other options. Worst case scenario, we don' like the room and get switched. I've walked by those blocks a number of times and if memory serves me we'll be in a good spot. Thanks all for your info.

Edited: 21 April 2014, 10:37
New Brunswick
Level Contributor
783 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tainos Updates

IOTG -

What a fussy camper you are with all the drama about what bungalow you want. You're only staying there a week; you're not buying the damn thing. I don't send my requests to Giselle until a week before arrival because she doesn't do anything with them anyhow until she gets the pax manifest from Sunwing and that is usually 1 week before arrival. We were in # 24 & 26 back in March - just fine but needed to get a storage cabinet to keep all the gifted rum and champagne in. Life is tough.

Kuujjuaq, Canada
Destination Expert
for Prince Edward Island
Level Contributor
4,511 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tainos Updates

Well Cubatan, I wouldn't call myself fussy and have always found our rooms perfectly adequate. I do however put care into selecting a room when my other half has to stay in the room. If she doesn't like it, we're moving plain and simple. Better to just do my homework in advance. Happy wife, happy life and all that......

New Brunswick
Level Contributor
783 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tainos Updates

We just returned from Tainos 2 days ago and everything and everybody was just great! IOTG's are still there but returning on Wednesday. There is no reason under the sun why any reasonable person should complain about this wonderful little hotel. G.M. Ana Riscalli is doing a super job and has earned much respect from her staff.

We were very happy to enjoy the company of many of our excellent Cuban friends for a short week. We had so many fun times with them but especially in the courtyard during and after the nightly entertainment. We loved Lucia & Raciel and Georgeo and his sax. Elvis and his gang are always fun and we introduced them to B-52 shooters one night.

We'll be back soon for Tainos visit number 7.

High River, Canada
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Tainos Updates

We will arrive at Tainos early saturday morning. very much looking forward to our trip.

I have to ask, what does IOTG's mean?

thanks, Steve