We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Iberostar Varadero

Mount Pearl, Canada
Level Contributor
143 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Iberostar Varadero

Just back from 2 weeks at IB Varadero if anyone has questions. Review to follow in a few days.

Lincoln, United...
Level Contributor
60 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Iberostar Varadero

Hi, we are going on Friday this week and i have a few questions, i keep reading about the sand bugs which seem to bite everyone.. did you have any problems?. . Did you do any of the trips. if so would you recommend, also prices would help...we are debating how much spends we will need... were taking english money with us is it easy to exchange at the hotel, how about tips how often and how much did you tip,. did you take items to give away is there anything they are needing specifically or is tips the best thing to do.. really anything you can tell me would help. thanks in advance.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
1,216 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Iberostar Varadero

when I was in Varadero last (end of July)There wasn't much of a beach at the IB Varadero,it had been washed away(yet again).

Tipping is a personal thing and you should go with what you think is right.If you tip in the UK for good service it's the same in Cuba.You will find out more if you look just above your post an type into the bar tipping.On the right hand side of the page you will see a helpful list one of which is on excursions.

You are right to take Sterling,but make sure that all your notes are not torn or defaced in any way as they will likely be refused.You can change your money at the hotel with no problem,just check the amount given before walking away from the desk,I normally change £100 at a time,that way it is easy to work out the exchange rate,i.e 1.65CUC to the £ = 165 for £100.

Catamaran trip to Cayo Blanco is a good one and helps top up that tan.Havana is a must but you could organise that with a staff member at your hotel rather than going on the travel agents trip,you will see a lot more and is better value,you meet up with another couple there and then share the cost.We always pay for the trips by credit card and cash for everything else,£800/1000 should see you through easily but depends on what you want to do,eat out in Varadero,go to bars to listen to the live music which would mean Taxis as the IBV is a long way up towards the end of the peninsula,roughly 15cuc's a time.Hop on hop off bus is 5cuc per person for an all day ticket,but stops running around 9pm,music and nightlife starts up around 10pm.

Ian.

Mont Tremblant...
Destination Expert
for Cayo Largo
Level Contributor
6,320 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Iberostar Varadero

Bettystanley: Did you enjoy your stay at the IV? Would you recommend the resort? Why (or why not)?

Was the beach on two-levels? Did you notice the activities for kids?

Thanks!

Mount Pearl, Canada
Level Contributor
143 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Iberostar Varadero

Scunthorpe duo, we were not near the beach in the evenings. There were a few mosquitoes up around the lobby, bar, and restaurants in the evenings. My husband and I got a few bites between us. We wore insect repellent on our legs in the evenings, but still got a couple of bites. Nothing serious though. We did the Havana day tour. It cost $65 cuc's and I would recommend it. We also did a jeep safari where you drive your own SUV (4 people in each) and that one was about 100 pesos, also recommended. It's quite easy to exchange money at the hotel and only slightly less than at the airport. The line up at the airport exchange was quite long, and was causing delays for the buses leaving for the resorts. There was a morning and an evening maid for the rooms, so we tipped a peso each morning and evening. We also tipped a peso each meal in the buffet. We also tipped every few drinks or so, but not for every drink. We did not bring items to give away, just the tips. After many years of traveling to the Caribbean we feel that this is the best thing. That way they can buy what they want,not what we choose to give them. We did not feel any pressure to tip at any time. We also believe in tipping for good service, and thus tipped most in the buffet, as we had exceptional service there. Look for Lisette, Pilar and Yara. They were wonderful to all of us!

Cayolargo2, we did enjoy our stay,but it was not without a few kinks. If you have issues, the best person to help you iron is out is your travel rep. The front desk is not the most accommodating, and the assistant manager is worse. He is reactive as opposed to proactive. More about that in my review. Yes the beach is still two levels. There are steps, but are still somewhat inconvenient. We had our grandchildren with us for the second week, aged 2 1/2 and 4 1/2. The resort was great for them. We did not avail of the kids club itself, thought the kids did participate in some of the activities around the pool. The kids water park is great, it's a pity it wasn't located closer to the main pool. It is off to itself at the far end of the resort. I think it would get more use if it were more central.

Despite our few kinks, I would still recommend this resort, and would still stay there if I go back to Cuba.

Mont Tremblant...
Destination Expert
for Cayo Largo
Level Contributor
6,320 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Iberostar Varadero

Excellent information about the kids water park Betty, thank you! I was under the impression it was close to the main pool, thank you for the accurate information. Is the kids club near the water park?

Mount Pearl, Canada
Level Contributor
143 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Iberostar Varadero

If you look at the resort map, the water park is over behind I think bldg 15. If not 15, one of those adjacent to 15. The kids club is next to the water park. Some days they did an activity near the main pool, ie one day they set the kids up with cookie dough to " make cookies".

Mont Tremblant...
Destination Expert
for Cayo Largo
Level Contributor
6,320 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Iberostar Varadero

On the resort map I found, the mini club is shown to be behind building 18 and 19, near the snack restaurant, and building 15 is at the other end of the resort (to the far right if you are facing the ocean). Obviously the map is not up to date.

Mount Pearl, Canada
Level Contributor
143 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Iberostar Varadero

The map is indeed not up to date. I was under the same impression as you until I saw it. Behind bldg 18 and 19 is a small building that may have been the mini club in the past, as well as a small (cold) kiddie pool. I also expected to see the water park there, but alas it is indeed to the far right, next to the boundary fence.

Mont Tremblant...
Destination Expert
for Cayo Largo
Level Contributor
6,320 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Iberostar Varadero

Thank you so much Betty for the information, it will factor into my decision for our next vacation.

Northallerton
Level Contributor
33 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Iberostar Varadero

Hi, could anyone tell me if the hotel is 24 hour all inclusive? Also what is the evening entertainment like? Thank you.