We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Leaving children at Kids Club for day trip to Havana

Vancouver
Level Contributor
12 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Leaving children at Kids Club for day trip to Havana

Hi all,

We are going on our first trip to Cuba this June with 2 other families - staying at Blau Varadero. Our kids range from 4 to 10 years. We wanted to visit Havana and are trying to figure out best options.

My first thought was to take a tour and leave the kids in the Kids club. We have been to Mexican AIs and cruises but have never left our kids at the club for more than a couple of hours (they don't like being there on their own). They are with friends (6 kids in total) so we think they will be fine this time. Are we allowed to leave the resort with kids in the club? How long should we allow for a reasonable day trip - 7 hours? 9 hours? Has anyone ever done this? How is the Kids Clubs at the Blau?

Second option is to take them with us. I am thinking a 2 hour drive there and back, June heat and a "boring" historical tour of Havana would definitely be brutal for the kids. Any experiences or suggestions? On a recent trip to Puerto Vallarta, we enjoyed just walking around the Malecon and Old Town on our own - it was compact, safe and allowed us to move at our own pace. Could we do something like this in Havana?

Third option is to skip Havana and go somewhere close by where we can get a flavor of Cuba similar to Havana. Again, it would be nice to taxi there and walk around at our own pace (like Puerto Vallarta). Any suggestions on places to visit? How to get there and best way to get around (on our own or with tour)?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and experiences!

Mississauga, Canada
Level Contributor
8,965 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Leaving children at Kids Club for day trip to Havana

Myself I wouldn't even consider leaving. my kids alone in the care of complete strangers in another country while away that long. Should something happen you will have no communication and be at best a few hours away. I highly doubt the resort would want that responsibility either !

Lenny

Newton Aycliffe...
Destination Expert
for Cuba, Rafael Freyre, Guardalavaca, Holguin
Level Contributor
100,649 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Leaving children at Kids Club for day trip to Havana

No way would I leave my kids in a kids club all day whilst I went off to visit Havana.

The answer is simple, take them with you.

Nova Scotia, Canada
Level Contributor
14,672 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Leaving children at Kids Club for day trip to Havana

You have experienced that your kids don’t like being left at the kid’s club for more than a few hours, and you think that the 2 hour drive to Havana & back in the hot sun & a boring tour of Havana would be brutal for the kids; and you’re wondering what to do? Why you considering either of them as an option?

Hire a van and go to Matanzas (about half hour away) for the morning, or go together on the HOHO bus to Josone Park in Varadero.

Lancashire, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
35,274 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Leaving children at Kids Club for day trip to Havana

I'd be surprised if you were allowed to leave them there for that length of time, irrespective of where you were. It's not a babysitting service. Why would you want to go off without them, leaving them with strangers? Too many 'what ifs'. Take them with you. They're not kids for long. Enjoy them while you can.

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
838 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Leaving children at Kids Club for day trip to Havana

Why as parents would you ever consider leaving children for a full day with complete strangers, so you as parents can have the easy life. As previous people have said they are not children for long. I have been holidaying in the Caribbean since my youngest daughter was 6 and she is now 25 and have never and would never consider leaving them. My honest opinion would be choose somewhere closer varedaro is lovely and you can go on many trips only a few minutes to am hour away. I know the hotel would not take responsibility for that long also as the clubs do not run continuously through out the day.

montreal
Level Contributor
10,504 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Leaving children at Kids Club for day trip to Havana

We have been to Mexican AIs and cruises but have never left our kids at the club for more than a couple of hours (they don't like being there on their own).

As a parent why would you even think of doing such a thing leaving your kids behind just because you want to enjoy the day with your other half and the kids stay behind with a bunch of strangers not my way of thinking .

Every place we went as a family vacation my kids went with us no matter what as i sure would not trust a bunch of strangers with my kids ...

By the way listen to your kids for crying out loud as you sayyourself they don't like beeing on their own ...

Canada
Level Contributor
4,329 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Leaving children at Kids Club for day trip to Havana

When my kids were young we did two types of vacations. 1) Left the kids with their granparents and enjoyed an adult holiday, or 2) Took the kids with us and had a family vacation where they NEVER left our sight. IMO there is no third option.

Vancouver
Level Contributor
12 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Leaving children at Kids Club for day trip to Havana

So that sounds like 7 votes against leaving kids and a suggestion to visit Matanzas that we'll look into.

I will ignore the few obtuse uninformed and inaccurate characterizations of my parental values. Really?

Vancouver
Level Contributor
12 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Leaving children at Kids Club for day trip to Havana

And thanks ... I think

Wellow, United...
Level Contributor
2,832 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Leaving children at Kids Club for day trip to Havana

Have I got my days mixed up, I thought it was Saturday not Friday :S

On the 7th Anniversary of Madeline McCann going missing I am actually shocked that anybody would even consider leaving their children in a Kids Club, miles away, with staff you don't even know.

Once your kids have grown up you will be able to have what ever you want, until then is it really too much to say, they are your children, your responsibility, and its not just your holiday but theirs too.

Edited: 03 May 2014, 19:58