We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Our First time to Cuba.......now to pick a resort?

ontario
Level Contributor
486 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
Our First time to Cuba.......now to pick a resort?

Has anyone been to both hotels:

Royal Hicacos and/or Melia Marina Varadero ?

& which would you recommend for a first timer going to Cuba? (We are frequent travellers of Mexico and Jamaica.)

We like a good Vibe, some evening entertainment/dancing. I understand the Melia is newer, does that trump Royal hicacos as I see it is #1 on trip advisor? Is the food okay at both places?

Any help in making a decision, greatly appreciated

Thank you!

St. John's, Canada
1 post
Save Reply
1. Re: Our First time to Cuba.......now to pick a resort?

We are going to the Melia Marina next week and it will also be our first time in Cuba. I am looking forward to it. It seems to be a vey nice resort. When are you going.

Oshawa, Canada
Level Contributor
4,343 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Our First time to Cuba.......now to pick a resort?

We are looking also at our first trip to Cuba, looking at Breezes Varadero.

Saskatoon, Canada
Level Contributor
1,750 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Our First time to Cuba.......now to pick a resort?

A word of advice for your first trip. Pick a minimum 4 Cuban star resort. We chose a three, which was more like a 1.5. I was fooled by fairly decent reviews, but, I do believe some of the good reviews were from inexperienced tourists who may not have travelled elsewhere. We do blame ourselves for not being able to enjoy Varadero. Thought I did my homework, but, not enjoying cold buffets, bird excrement, warm alcohol, beaches covered with litter, and hostile customer service resulted in our never never Cuba again! Had second thoughts before we left, but was assured by Sunwing that Playa Caleta was a good resort. I am not slamming Cuba as a whole, would have loved to see a clean beach...perhaps someday Cayo Coco. Hope you enjoy.

hartlepool, united...
Level Contributor
4,812 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Our First time to Cuba.......now to pick a resort?

Agree with Judy if it's your first time. We stayed at Paradisus Varadero a couple of weeks ago. First time in Cuba, and we went for 5* because of similar advice given by Judy before we booked. Hotel was beautiful and we would go back in a heartbeat. But...while the a la carte restaurants were largely very good, I can honestly say I've had much better buffet food from 3* hotels in Europe.

Hamilton, Canada
Level Contributor
1,869 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Our First time to Cuba.......now to pick a resort?

Are u heart set on varadero?

Port Coquitlam
Level Contributor
415 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Our First time to Cuba.......now to pick a resort?

I can't comment on Royal Hicacos, but I've recently been to the Melia Marina. It's a very nice hotel, but is about as far from being 'Cuban' as you can get. The name describes it well.. it's literally IN the marina, and you can see the catarmarans and tourist fishing boats come in and out. Being new, there's very little vegetation around, or shade at the pool. It's also almost at the end of the peninsula, so a long bus or cab ride to the town. You'll have a nice holiday, but you won't be experiencing Cuba.

ontario
Level Contributor
486 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Our First time to Cuba.......now to pick a resort?

thanks everyone.

Yes, we want to go to Varadero. My second choice would be the Pestana resort in Cayo Coco.

We always get sidetracked when a good deal comes up in Mexico, because if you are paying the same money, its better value in Mexico (from what I hear from those who travel to Cuba) I often hear u don't go to cuba for the food......but thats why I go on holidays, to enjoy food and not cook!!!......hence we end up in Mexico/Jamaica...cause the food is great. We'll see if we finally make it to Cuba this trip.........(-:

Level Contributor
13 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Our First time to Cuba.......now to pick a resort?

Hey suzhartlepool

Was the Paradisus a romantic resort? Can we still enjoy without the royal service??

Thank you :)

Oshawa, Canada
Level Contributor
876 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Our First time to Cuba.......now to pick a resort?

If you want a wonderful beach (better than Varadero - in my opinion), try the Royalton at Cayo Santa Maria. I've been to Royal Hicacos and it isn't that bad.

ontario
Level Contributor
486 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Our First time to Cuba.......now to pick a resort?

What about the Royalton ? or the Paradisus Rio de oro? Anyone been to those that can comment. Are they better than the Royal Hicacos?