We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

varadero airport

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
1,273 posts
56 reviews
Save Topic
varadero airport

arriving rom yyz. any tips on how to fet through customs and the airport fast? where do i show my tourist card and medical insurance?

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
11,388 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: varadero airport

There is no way to get through customs any faster than anyone else. Can't remember where the grab 1/2 of your tourist card. Don't lose the other half. As for medical insurance very unlikely you'll be asked.

Cheers

Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
4,305 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: varadero airport

You'll have to take your place in line for Immigration, that is where you will get your passport stamped,and give your tourist card to the officer there, keep the other half in safe keeping for when you exit Cuba, ( you will probably not be asked for insurance, but if you are , it will be there,), you then exit Immigration, and be in line to have to go through personal scan and have your carry-on Xrayed, then you go to luggage pick up.,there is no " fast way ".

Acton Vale, qc
Level Contributor
221 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: varadero airport

Bring a baby with you, that will get you in front of the line. Lol. We are lucky to be returning to Varadero for the secound time this with our litle 1year old boy, such a nice way to spend good times with him.

Edited: 05 June 2014, 10:52
Consett, United...
Level Contributor
20,361 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: varadero airport

Or someone in a chair !!!! :)

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
917 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: varadero airport

A baby or a chair won't get your luggage out any faster. We waited almost an hour last month. Best way to get through fast is use a carry on only.

Acton Vale, qc
Level Contributor
221 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: varadero airport

2 weeks and a baby, carry on only not really an option lol.

Edited: 05 June 2014, 11:34
St. John's, Canada
Destination Expert
for Newfoundland and Labrador
Level Contributor
3,678 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: varadero airport

I found the longest wait was Immigration where you have to go one by one to get passports and visa stanped. As it was our first time to Cuba, I had never seen this before, as Mexico, & Domican Republic we went in a family group to the Immigration official. By the time we got through the line ups our luggage was waiting.

We found much longer wait times were when we were leaving. Unfortunately our flight was at 11:20 AM so the lines to check in (and we paid for Sunwing Elite Plus) were long, the line to pay the exit tax slow and the immigration line alone took forever. Our flight and many others were late leaving because so many passengers were caught in slow line ups.

Oshawa, Canada
Level Contributor
3,069 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: varadero airport

Hmm, we have been thinking of Cuba after numerous trips to the DR, Mexico, Jamaica and St. Lucia. This sounds like a nightmare!

What's this about medical insurance?

Maybe Cuba isn't for us after all.

Cambridge, Canada
Level Contributor
1,887 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: varadero airport

That's how they do it in Cuba, one person at a time. Families with young children they will allow one parent to go with them.

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
1,273 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: varadero airport

Thank you all for your input - it really helps. I'm thinking of booking a private transfer so I'll just take things slow when I get there. My luggage is always last out!

Last time I post anything from my Iphone - just noticed all my spelling and grammar errors!