We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

sewer stench in the rooms----Ocean Varadero

Level Contributor
370 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
sewer stench in the rooms----Ocean Varadero

I have read a few forums that have mentioned this.....is this an ongoing problem there at this resort....also as this is a fairly new resort have they been able to develop lots of gardens and vegetationn around the resort ....some of the pictures look pretty bare.

Teignmouth, United...
Level Contributor
489 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: sewer stench in the rooms----Ocean Varadero

I should point out that parts of the Varadero peninsula overly sulpurous underground springs... sometimes the gasses permeate through... so it's probably not sewerage... also you sometimes get a niff from the Oil refineries if the wind is blowing in the "wrong" direction...

ATB,J.

Port Colborne...
Level Contributor
3,603 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: sewer stench in the rooms----Ocean Varadero

the gardens are being developed like any new resort , the gardeners work on the gardens daily. You can place all the plants you want but they do take time to grow. I have been there now twice and have seen a difference from my first trip there to my second trip.. My third trip to this resort is booked.

there was an issue with the septic system when they first opened up and that has since been fixed, the above poster is reporting the sulfur spring issue which no one can control as it does depend on a lot of things, but it does pop its nasty head in rainy season and only if has been raining for days then hides the rest of the year when it is dry.

It is a very nice resort with great staff.

Canada
Level Contributor
4,185 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: sewer stench in the rooms----Ocean Varadero

When I was in Varadero back in 2007 the smell from the refinery was just awful late at night and there was quite a few posts here on TA about it back then. I don't hear much about it any more so I wonder if steps have been taken over the past several years to mitigate the issue. Or maybe we were just very unlucky?

Fredericton, Canada
Level Contributor
145 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: sewer stench in the rooms----Ocean Varadero

We were at OVeP in late May and there most certainly was a sewer stench in our rooms at various times through the week, worst on the last day & 1/2 or so. We first smelled it first one afternoon early in the week, but by opening both doors it aired out quite quickly. A hotel employee came to our room, asked to use our phone, and then told us someone would be down to resolve the issue. No one ever arrived. I would have asked the Air Canada rep to make arrangements for us to leave the resort if I had any idea it would get as bad as it did. It seemed to be coming in the air conditioning vent, I assume depending on which way the wind blew. I included details of our experience in my review of the resort. What's nastiest, is that we seemed to become 'accustomed' to it.... friends would come in our room and say 'god, it stinks in here' but we couldn't smell it anymore. It was disgusting and, at its worst, almost physically nauseating. Who knows what we were breathing all that week.

There was a review posted just yesterday mentioning how awful it was (in an otherwise positive review). Anyone who tells you these problems have been resolved is either lying or is misinformed.

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
1,232 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: sewer stench in the rooms----Ocean Varadero

We experienced this slightly while on holiday. Outside of our room only. It was probably about 2 days out of our week but I know this happens in Cuba and honestly, we weren't ever just hanging out outside of our room so it didn't bother us.

We couldn't smell anything in our room or at the beach, pool etc. Just right ourside our room door in building 45.

Fredericton, Canada
Level Contributor
145 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: sewer stench in the rooms----Ocean Varadero

We never smelled it at the pool, beach, restaurants, lobby area either.... only in our room - which leads me to believe it's not just an odor from the oil refineries or sulfurous gas wafting by - - you would smell those anywhere and everywhere. The sewer smell in our room was obviously being blown directly in from the air conditioning vents - and the hotel employee in our room told us as much.

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
1,232 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: sewer stench in the rooms----Ocean Varadero

SMH that's crazy...we could only smell it in the hall outside our room. I'm now wondering if it was perhaps coming from our neighbor's room or something because I never smelled it anywhere else.

Canada
Level Contributor
4,185 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: sewer stench in the rooms----Ocean Varadero

I think that there may be a couple different smells and causes at play here.

1) The area is oil and gas rich and along with that goes sulphurous gases. This can be emitted from oil and gas wells, from springs or ground water in the area and can also be emitted through the plumbing in the hotel itself. Sulpher dioxide is considerably heavier than air and under the right wind conditions can be pretty dense in one area and barely noticible a short distance away.

2) The refinery burns off excess gasses which I believe is what we ran into. The smell is different and is one of the most revolting things I've experienced. It is quite a different odour than #1.

3) I've run into hotels that simply have poor plumbing and septic systems and that smell is exactly what you think it is. ;-) Often only in isolated areas of the resort.

4) Poorly maintained air conditioning units can sometimes emit a foul odour but it is generally more of a musty smell.

5) A/C units could also also just be drawing in one the previous smells from outside.

Edited: 25 July 2014, 20:42
Fredericton, Canada
Level Contributor
8,752 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: sewer stench in the rooms----Ocean Varadero

A damaged stink pipe or drain vent that's building up the methane and stink in the service corridor the AC draws air from. Makes sense for the stinky room.

Agree with #8:

Sulfur/methane from the underground reservoirs, refinery off-gassing and leaking sewers for the other stinky areas. We had similar outdoor smells at the Marina Palace a few years back.

Level Contributor
370 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: sewer stench in the rooms----Ocean Varadero

Gosh doesn't sound very promising....seems there is still an issue.....