We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How do I get a good deal

Hamilton, Canada
Level Contributor
84 posts
59 reviews
Save Topic
How do I get a good deal

I am thinking about visiting cuba in the next couple years and i want to know how to make it the absolute cheapest. Because of our points system we have to fly Air Canada. What websites will get you the best deal. Also, is cuba best for short notice booking or far a head booking THanks

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
11,382 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How do I get a good deal

So you'll be booking air and hotel separetly??

Cheers

Moncton, Canada
Level Contributor
2,519 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How do I get a good deal

If you have to fly AC, i am assuming cause its Aeroplan? If so, you can book your whole vacation package that way.....and I beleive that would be the cheapest way to do i and easiest and often hads price protection.

If thats not the case, I would visit the hotel sites individually(Melia, Blau, etc) to book the room/resort you want. If you have to book flights and hotel seperatly, I would not wait for last minute to do that at all.

Mont Tremblant...
Destination Expert
for Cayo Largo
Level Contributor
6,298 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How do I get a good deal

Even if you book flight and hotel separately, you can buy the hotel from a tour operator, it's often cheaper than booking directly with the resort.

Moncton, Canada
Level Contributor
2,519 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How do I get a good deal

Good point.

But I have yet to really see it cheaper that way. Now because the OP has points, which will help offset the cost of the flight, it may work out that way.

Still extra cost of shuttle and cab to add to price as well.

Cheapest way imho will be to book a package through ACV and apply point there. Not to mention if something goes wrong with booking or flights etc and having to deal with seperate companies.

Fredericton, Canada
Level Contributor
145 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How do I get a good deal

Can points be used through Air Canada Vacations?

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jibacoa
Level Contributor
2,964 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How do I get a good deal

I thought aeroplan only applied to flights.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
1,168 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How do I get a good deal

You cannot use aeroplan points anymore to fly to Cuba. Found this out two years ago. We always fly Air Canada Vacations and never had a problem.

Moncton, Canada
Level Contributor
2,519 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How do I get a good deal

You can use your points to purchase a travel gift card with ACV, which in turn can be used for vacation packages, cruises etc. I am a current member and dont remember anything about not being able to use those towards Cuba vacations. Seeing as that is the only place I usually vacation, i would not be happy. It also states on the ACV site they can deduct the points right from your Aeroplan to offset the cost of the vacation.

I havent tried, but it seems pretty straightforward on their website, and I dont see any disclaimer about Cuba.

But assuming that is the case, then the OP wil be in for a surprise. It will not be cheaper trying to book it seperately.....

Edited: 15 August 2014, 20:15
Fredericton
Level Contributor
269 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How do I get a good deal

No problem using Aeroplan points with ACV. Cant be used for flight only, but monetary credit applied to packages.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
1,168 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How do I get a good deal

Must be only for down east as we can't here.