We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to pack? what things to never leave home without?

BC
Level Contributor
432 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
What to pack? what things to never leave home without?

This is our first trip to Cuba but not our first trip to all inclusive (we've been to Mexico countless times and once to Punta Cana). I know the basics like sunscreen, swim suits, meds and buba cubs, etcetera, but is there something that you could not live without that we cannot get in Varadero or Havana? We are staying three nights in Havana at the H10 Habana Panorama Havana and then the balance of time at h10 ocean varadero el patriarca and going at Christmas/ New Years.

Thanks!

Ajax, Canada
Level Contributor
416 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What to pack? what things to never leave home without?

Bug spray!!!

Western Ireland...
Level Contributor
123 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What to pack? what things to never leave home without?

Bite relief cream/ spray......teabags.....travel kettle.

Snorkel mask.....beach shoes, for rocky beaches.....

Wendy x

Great Yarmouth
Level Contributor
335 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What to pack? what things to never leave home without?

Sunglasses, teabags and books :)

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
1,217 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What to pack? what things to never leave home without?

Face cloths and kleenex

Charlottetown...
Level Contributor
360 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: What to pack? what things to never leave home without?

Nail clippers, I can't leave home without them!! I don't even go to work without them in my pocket. I am very prone to hang nails.....with that said, bug spray as mentioned is a must as well as the obvious sun screen. Tooth picks (the plastic flosser type are a must) as well as any medication you think you might need, Pepcid/tums/Rolaids/Tylenol/aspirin/ibuprofen/aleve/Imodium all of which can be hard to find. I always pack a flashlight as well as a multi-tip screw driver, when you frequent the lower star resorts you never know what you might have to fix =) Don't forget your manners, lots of Canadians seem to leave these at home when they travel to Cuba and that makes me a little embarrassed when they are harassing some Cuban of some trivial little thing..........

Milton
Level Contributor
344 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: What to pack? what things to never leave home without?

I'm going to have to second taylaboos comments. Good book and a good pair of sunglasses. Also want to add batteries and adapters/chargers to that list.

Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
492 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What to pack? what things to never leave home without?

Def bring facecloths (there are none at the resorts) and Kleenex (for your off resort excursions) . Most restaurants, clubs and attractions will have someone sitting outside of the bathroom door with a roll of Kleenex and a hand out for payment. And don't expect the toilets to flush! lol If you usually bring bug spray then bring it here although I never get bit as the bugs don't seem to like me! Id also bring extra cash. There are none to limited ATM's and as far as I know they only except a credit card. You'll also need to set aside 25.00 CUC per person for a departure tax.

Southern Ontario
Level Contributor
1,783 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What to pack? what things to never leave home without?

Kleenex for your wiping your face. Toilet paper for wiping the other end and the TP goes into the trash can, not the toilet.! Cuba's sewer system can hardly handle toilet paper. To put it as nicely as I can, if you need to wipe the bum because of #1 - into the trash can. If you have to wipe because you've done a #2 (especially a #2), then into the toilet. Never put tissues into the toilet - you are clogging the system. There used to be signs in the toilet stalls explaining the rules, but they were popular souvenirs and have disappeared to maybe Canada? Dirty toilet paper goes to the toilet, clean goes into the trash can.

Ontario
Level Contributor
5,492 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What to pack? what things to never leave home without?

^^^I thought it was ALL toilet paper in the can, Sund0g. How does the septic system know if it's clean or not? ;o) Srsly, in Mexico, it's ALL paper, so that's what we go with in Cuba.

*sunscreen. Lots.

*OTC meds (Pepto, Advil, cough syrup, anything you MIGHT need while away)

*feminine hygiene crap

*birth control (my 13 year old son's advice LOL)

*cash

*books

*insulated mug

*reusable water bottle

*an extra camera (we only brought one camera and it died. Had to use our phones)

*tie wraps and nail clippers (suitcase security)

Barrie, Canada
Level Contributor
859 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What to pack? what things to never leave home without?

Call your credit card company and ask if your credit card will work in Cuba and let them know the dates when you are going. If your card is backed by an American Bank, it will not work in Cuba at all.

Get answers to your questions about Varadero