We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Excellent info!

Level Contributor
393 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Excellent info!

I have just spent ALOT of time reading posts and taking lots of notes for our upcoming trip on Nov 3rd. We're staying at Papagayo with our kids (15 & 11).

I have a basic itinerary so that we can see most of what we'd like to but flexible if we need to make changes do to weather, etc.

A few questions:

How far a drive from Papagayo is it to Christoffel Park? I know we have to go early to make the climb. How much time should we allow for that trip?

What is the nearest / best grocery store near Papagayo to stock up on some basics since we do have a full kitchen?

My daughter was certifed last year (her in NJ) and other than certification dives & 2 dives in Hawaii is still pretty new to the sport. My husband will be diving with her and is more experienced but are there any dive shops that have excellent reputations or dive sights that are great for a new diver?

Lastly, other than Mambo Beach on Friday night where should a family go for some great meals?

Thanks to all those who can share their experiences--especially Just-the-Facts who spends alot of time give solid advice!

Curacao
Level Contributor
472 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Excellent info!

Thanks Queezi!

Good idea to be flexible, if and when it rains here, it generally does not rain longer than half an hour, so don't let it dampen your spirits.

From Papayago to Christoffel park will take you about an hour.

As far as I heard you can purchase a 'starters package' (groceries) at Papagayo which will fulfill your basic needs for the first morning/afternoon or so. The nearest well-stocked supermarket I think would be Vreugdenhil supermarket on the Caracasbaaiweg.

The dive shop at Porto Marie beach has an excellent reputation and you get to spend a day at a wonderful beach while your daughter dives. Just don't forget to visit Cas Abou and Grote Knip! (beaches)

As for meals, if you do not want to go too far, Larry's Neighbourhood Grill is pretty good. 'De Kleine Wereld' has mixed reviews, I personally did not like it very much but friends of mine loved it there, go figure. I like Rodeo House or Ribs. And my favorite restaurant you might visit on the way back from Porto Marie Beach or Cas Abou beach, (no dress code) is Landhuis Daniel. And my favorite restaurant of all is still 'Bistro Le Clochard'. Some people will advise 'Hooks Hut', but to tell you the truth the food is not that good there, but the ambiance is great, on the beach sand between your toes. I would suggest going happy houring there and then off to a decent restaurant.

For a good brunch or lunch I would suggest 'Delifrance' (really great fresh french bread and 'Pain au Chocolat' so delicious) or cafe 'de Troopen'.

Hope this was of some help.

Level Contributor
393 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Excellent info!

Once at Chrsistoffel Park, how much time should we allow for a visit? If we do the hike how long and / or difficult is it? We hiked Diamondhead volcano last year and boy was it hot!! I think I read Boca Pistol/ Siete Boca is near the park. Would it be feasible to do that afterwards in the same day? Are there places to eat lunch, snacks near there or should we pack lunch, drinks etc for more time and flexability that day? If I didn't mention it we will have a car and like to set out on a " journey" never knowing exactly what surprises we might find! Thanks again :)!

South Jersey
Level Contributor
250 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Excellent info!

Queezi,

Definately do Sheta National Park when you are at Christoffel Park. If you have a car you can drive the Sheta and it will take about an hour to do. It will be hot so bring a cooler with some waters. (Target has a great backpack cooler, it was the best purchase for my trip.) While you are in this area, you should check out Playa Kalki (Kura Hulanda Lodge beach), Playa Forti (cliff jumping), Gorte Knip. I suggest that you bring snorkeling gear with you. You will be hot and want to cool off afterwards. You can hit some of the beaches in this area then. You can drive on the way up the main road that runs through Barbara and on the way back hit the "coastal" road where the beaches are.

Here is a map of Curacao that was great for driving. www.abcislands.se/img/Curacao_map_large.jpg

If you go to the bottom right side of the map with the mouse you will see a picture with arrows going out. Click on this and it will enlarge the map. Here you can see where the beaches are and where you will stay. It will probably be over an hour drive from your hotel to the national park.

Mambo Beach on Friday and Saturday nights have fish market at the restaurant. It is very good and had a blast checking out all of the fish.

Curacao
Level Contributor
472 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Excellent info!

At Christoffel Park you can decide to go half way up by car, which I would suggest, and then climb the rest. I think you will spend about 2,5 hour there. The climb is not easy I would say medium, and believe me it will be hot. The entrance to Siete Boca is righ after Christoffel park, if you are going to visit three of the four of the seven coves this will take you about 2 hours. Boca pistol to the far right is really great but you can drive to that one first and just sit and relax and look at the crashing waves for a bit. Then go back to the entrance and go to the other side park you car and walk down to the second cove up to the other side and then over to the third cove where you will find the natural bridge. Go back to the entrance and see Boca tabla, which is right in the middle. If you take your time and enjoy the sights, you can spend about 2 hours here. You will want to jump in the water by now, Grote knip is only a little farther, have a swim and the go to Playa forti, where you can jump in the water from the cliff.

Oh yes, on Sunday they have this local BBQ at Siete Boca, with all kinds of local dishes, for instance pumpkin pancakes, these are sooo good.

And definitely take a cooler with lots of water/drinks and some crackers.

Have fun!

Illinois City...
Destination Expert
for Palm - Eagle Beach
Level Contributor
3,704 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Excellent info!

Queezi,

I'll be watching for your trip report. Sounds like you have a lot of good things planned.

Have a wonderful trip.

6. Re: Excellent info!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 September 2009, 18:18
Get answers to your questions about Curacao