We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Any reason NOT to rent a car?

Which Curacao hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
USA
8 posts
Save Topic
Any reason NOT to rent a car?

Heading to Curacao next week and I'm planning to rent a car just so we'll have the freedom to go where and when we want. Are there any pitfalls I should consider that would cause someone to advise to AVOID renting a car? I understand that it may not be necessary and may be seen as an unnecessary expense, but beyond that is there any reason to specifically avoid renting a car?

Thanks. And thanks to all who have answered a few of my previous questions. This board has been very helpful and very friendly as I've been preparing for this trip.

South Jersey
Level Contributor
250 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Any reason NOT to rent a car?

There are major reasons why NOT to rent a car. Renting a car was the only way to see the island. I stayed in NW and at the Sea Aquarium and it was useful in each place. Just be smart when you leave your car at beaches and sights. Don't leave or take major valuables with you and leave them in the car. There is also a free Curacao magazine at the airport with a map in the island. This was the best map of the roads. I think if you look at some previous posts you may find that I posted the map somewhere.

Level Contributor
393 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Any reason NOT to rent a car?

I would urge you to stick with your plan and definately rent a car. We were there with our 2 kids and saw more of that island in 1 week than most people could imagine. We had the flexability to beach-hop at our leisure, eat any where we wanted and see many more sights without having to pay bus /tour operators. My only suggestions is to get the "official" map at the grocery store or I think car rental places may sell it. It wasn't expensive and well worth the price. Have Fun!

RICHMOND
Level Contributor
62 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Any reason NOT to rent a car?

Highly recommend the rental car. Do your research on rental agencies and what their fees are (for example there's a fee to leave the airport). National really took us, even though I had made a reservation on-line prior to going. Then they gave us a not so nice car, though we had no problems with it. The most important thing to know is does your car insurance cover you on the island. They force you to get insurance if it doesn't and it's steep.

But yes, do get a rental and see the island, there is much to see. Though we weren't looking, we stumbled onto the wild Flamingo farm. Easier to get around with newer road signs, but DEFINITELY get a road map. We bought one from the Hilton.

4. Re: Any reason NOT to rent a car?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 September 2009, 01:15