We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

supermarket??

Lethbridge
Level Contributor
200 posts
46 reviews
Save Topic
supermarket??

Just curious - we're at Breezes in 5 weeks & enjoy exploring local supermarkets when travelling. Is there one near Breezes that is accessible by local transit?

Hollywood, Florida
Level Contributor
355 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: supermarket??

Yes, I'd like to tag onto this as I stay at breezes in a few months and was curious if there is a liquor store in town around that supermarket. We'd like something for the room and my guess it's alot cheaper there than at the duty free in airport.

KVR
Odessa, Texas
Level Contributor
1,604 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: supermarket??

From our research there is a a supermarket called Suikertuintje that the shuttles from the Sea Aquarium, Royal and Lion's Dive resort offers. We plan on using that since we chose the Lions Dive and it is not all inclusive. I would think since the shuttle offers it a taxi from Breezes wouldn't be that expensive.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,214 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: supermarket??

There is a Best Buy in Salinas (like a Costco) which has bulk items and smaller scale also. There is also a Centrum supermarket which has everythig you may need in Salinas. They are not very far from these resorts. They have an extensive alcohol dept. for all your needs!

Willington...
Destination Expert
for Curacao
Level Contributor
5,177 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: supermarket??

duty free at your airport will be cheaper than in Curacao. We buy a couple of bottles in Miami.They bring them to the airplane as you board.

Willemstad, Curacao
Level Contributor
464 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: supermarket??

By island standards, Zuikertuintje is quite a distance from the breezes. and so are Centrum and Best Buy(formerly Strada) Actually Zuikertuintje closed down quite some time ago, and was transformed into a shopping mall.

I would suggest you walk over to the hotel next door, Lions Dive Hotel. Supermarket Vreugdenhill, which is only 5 minutes away has a shuttle that picks you up for free there and takes you there. They have the same products you would get at Centrum.

There arent many liqour stores in Curacao, supermarkets sell about everything you would need regarding alcohol.

good luck, and enjoy your vacation in Curacao!

Francis

Curacao
Level Contributor
841 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: supermarket??

I am the queen of supermarkets, driving to town each Thursday from Westpunt and going to no less than 3 often many more.

My favorite store is Vruegrenhil. It's about a mile from Breezes. I've seen their vans so they must have a shuttle. If they do not pick up at Breezes, perhaps the desk could call for you and you could get a lift when they pick up at Lions Dive or the Royal Sea Aquarium.

Best Buy (old Strata) is very large but they do not have as large of a produce section as Vruegrenhil.

Of all markets, I an surprised that LD would take you to the one at the Zuikerteinje Mall. It is what I call a designer market, very pretty. They do have a large selection of cigars and a great take out deli. The way they display the produce is extremely artistic, especially in the soft lighting. If you do get a ride there be sure to get a gelato at Bella Italian.

There is a large Dutch store in Zeelandia, Albert Heinzs, less than 2 years old. A great way to spend a half hour reading the labels. They carry baked goods from a Dutch bakery that are quite nice. I buy the Danio yogurt by Dannone (found in almost all the stores), delish! I recommend it highly or try the thicker, Kwark. Buy 2 you'll be glad you did.

Centrum is a very popular store. There is one in Piscadera and one in Mahaai.

The 2 larger "local stores" are Mangusa, on the ring near Rio Canario and L'Eperamos across from Cost U Less, a warehouse type store with groceries - and US beef. The other warehouse type store is Goisco, also on the ring.

There is a market less than a mile from Breezes. It has changed names and I can't think of it.... It's a healthy walk but manageable. It's also more of a smaller local store, has a pretty good bakery but not anywhere near the selection of wines and liquors as any of the others.

There are others but you should be able to find a store to visit on this list. Please remember there are no longer any white plastic bags in the stores. Bring your beach bags to carry your purchases or buy one at the register they charge (in USD) between 17 cents for paper bags to 2 or 3 dollars for the square type, some thinly insulated, to $16 for insulated market baskets with handles at AH.I know tourists who have been shopping because I see them on the beach with these bags/baskets.

There is a new map available called the Smart Driving Road Map by Kris Kras. It has a lot of the stores marked on the map.

Lethbridge
Level Contributor
200 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: supermarket??

thank you, all! We're not particularily interested in buying booze, just enjoy browing supermarkets in other countries and looking at products we haven't seen before. We were at Sunset Waters a few years ago & stopped at a store on the way back to the resort from Willemstad and had a wonderful time browsing - bought Dutch chocolate bars and spices/seasonings new to us. In Barbados years ago we came across Catelli pasta on the shelf which was made in our home city! You never know what you'll find!

I'm sure we'll manage to get to at least one of the above mentioned stores! Thank you for the tip on bags - good to know. Any further input always appreciated as well!

KVR
Odessa, Texas
Level Contributor
1,604 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: supermarket??

It appears the info I have is rather old. Thanks for the update. We plan on going to whatever supermarket the Lion's Dive shuttle provides. We are more interested in beer than liquor, so can't get that at the duty free store. Also want to get cholocate and other variety of things not offered in the US.

Curacao
Level Contributor
841 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: supermarket??

Chocolates are hard to find. I actually have someone bring me pounds from a great little NH store for my friends for the holidays. You can find some on Santa Rosa Weg in a little mall on the right just a short way after the 1st light, sorry forget the name. And there is a Belgian shop in Otrabanda, next to Subway. It's very small and again I don't know the name, maybe one of the destination experts are familiar with these shops. I haven't been in Mementos (on the ring in Salina) for fear of spending money, but as a gift shop they may have chocolates as well.

Willemstad, Curacao
Level Contributor
464 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: supermarket??

sunshine, i think the supermarket is called boardwalk. it used to be called Pita Supermarket.

You'll find beer in all supermarkets.

I think the store you mean is Candy Barrel. You can also try Crazy Candy located in Salinja.

I'm pretty sure the store is called The Belgian Chocolate store :) it's located on Brionplein in Otrobanda (a bit expensive though)

oh and if you want cheese, theres a new store that opened in Punda called The cheese store.. do you see a trend here? But it should have a nice selection of dutch cheese.

The grocery store inside the zuikertuintje mall is called Marketplace. It's really small, but really nice. theres also a sushi stand inside.

Get answers to your questions about Curacao