We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Curacao or Barbados? Please help :)

Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
167 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Curacao or Barbados? Please help :)

I am trying to decide my vacation destination. The choices are Barbados or Curacao. Having never been to Curacao, and Barbados only once on a cruise, can some of you Curacao lovers tell me what it is about Curacao that you love so much? Why Curacao over Barbados? I sincerely appreciate all of the help,

Beth

Mentioned in this post
Barbados
Barbados
Caribbean
Curacao
Curacao
Caribbean
New England
Level Contributor
98 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Curacao or Barbados? Please help :)

Have been to Barbados once and to Curacao many times. Curacao is our favorite Caribbean island (have visited 18 so far.)

First, like the climate- hot with breezes- very good for swimming and snorkeling and some of the best snorkeling we have experienced. Curacao has some beautiful cove beaches.

Enjoy the multi-cultural aspects of Curacao and the city of Willemstad is a World Heritage site and a walkable, interesting little city.

We like the desert like quality of the ABC islands.

Do you have specific questions about Curacao or Barbados?

Mentioned in this post
Barbados
Barbados
Caribbean
Curacao
Curacao
Caribbean
Caribbean
Caribbean
North America
Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
1,342 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Curacao or Barbados? Please help :)

Been to both. Nothing wrong with Barbados but I prefer Curacao.

I bumped up my long report to tell you why.

Mentioned in this post
Barbados
Barbados
Caribbean
Curacao
Curacao
Caribbean
Tennessee
Level Contributor
44 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Curacao or Barbados? Please help :)

I've been to both, so I thought I would drop in my 2 cents. It probably depends on what is important to you, but personally I liked Curacao better. Barbados was nice, but to me it wasn't interesting enough to make me want to return. The things I liked better about Curacao were:

1. The beaches were generally smaller coves good for swimming, as opposed to the long stretches of shallow sand beaches in Barbados. To me the coves are much more picturesque.

2. The snorkeling is much more interesting in Curacao. We did snorkel with some large sea turtles in Barbados, but that was about it.

3. The colorful downtown of Willemstad was fun to explore. If there is anything quaint in Barbados, I didn't see it.

4. It was very difficult to find inexpensive meals on Barbados. We were staying on the west side of the island where most restaurants were very pricey. That probably doesn't apply if you stay in the busier part of Barbados.

5. Depending on what time of year you're going, Curacao may be less likely to be impacted by hurricanes, although Barbados' location I've heard makes it rare to get hurricanes as well.

6. I found the beach vendors on Barbados to be very annoying. We stayed on the West end of Curacao and didn't run into any vendors, but I don't know if they exist in the more populated area of Curacao.

On the pro side for Barbados, unless you go to Curacao in the rainy season, I've heard the Curacao landscape is dry and brown most of the year, but I'm sure the hotels keep up their landscaping year-round. We were there in October and it was pretty green.

Of course, the lodging you choose can also make a big difference. We stayed at the Fairmont Royal Pavilion on Barbados and the Lodge Kura Hulanda on Curacao. Both were nice but we more much more impressed with Lodge Kura Hulanda.

I hope I haven't offended any Barbados lovers. We enjoyed our visit there but personally it just wasn't our favorite island. Good luck!

Mentioned in this post
Curacao
Curacao
Caribbean
Barbados
Barbados
Caribbean
Fairmont Royal Pavilion
Fairmont Royal Pavilion
1,230 Reviews
Barbados
4. Re: Curacao or Barbados? Please help :)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 December 2009, 05:15