We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report - Just got back

Which Curacao hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New Jersey/New York
Level Contributor
63 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report - Just got back

We went to Curacao from June 27th thru July 4th. Getting there from Newark, NJ was such a disaster due to Continental's various issues throughout the day. We were supposed to leave at 8:50 am but got de-planed twice and didn't take off until 7:30 in the evening. Let's just say there were a lot of angry people on that plane. By the time we landed it was midnight and by the time we got the hotel, it was after 1 in the morning.

We stayed at the Royal Sea Aquarium Resort. We had the studio room. It took 3 trips to the front desk to get a key that worked and they still couldn't figure why the keys weren't working. They finally let us in with the master key and told us to get new keys in the morning. I was not impressed with the room nor was I impressed with the terrible moldy smell in the room but needless to say, we were all so tired from our travel ordeal that day that we just wanted to sleep.

The resort itself was very plain and simple. The people who worked there were very friendly and helpful. The restaurant on site, Augusots, was where we ate for breakfast every day and was very good.

We also ate at Hemingways the first morning and vowed never to return. We had the buffet breakfast and it was awful. The eggs were green...enough said.

We ate at Le Bistro Le Cochard which was excellent..on the pricy side but very good. We also ate at Scampi's which was average. We had dinner at The Boathouse restaurant which was very good and we enjoyed the view while we ate. We also ate at La Bahia in Punda which was a very good meal. Two nights we ate at Mambo Beach..once for the BBQ night and once for Fish Fry..both very good meals. I don't understand how people said that Curacao didn't have good food since we were not disappointed once and we are pretty picky when it comes to food.

For excursions, we went on a snorkeling adventure with Bounty Tours which was a lot of fun. We also had a private tour guide to show us the different beautiful beaches in Curacao such as Big Knip ..gorgeous beach and Porto Maria. We also saw the dolphin and sea lion show at the sea aquarium which was very cute.

Other than that..we were looking to relax and enjoy the beautiful beaches and the gorgeous weather.

We loved Curacao. The people were friendly and we may return in the future but would not stay at the Royal Resort. We loved the food and the ambience of the island. It's definitely not commercialized as Aruba but I think we prefer Aruba more since we have small children but definitely enjoyed Curacao and hated coming back home. The flight back on Continental was surprisingly drama-free.

North Jersey
10 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report - Just got back

Thanks for posting your report! We are also heading to Curacao at end of August, so your info is helpful. We are flying Continental from EWR, so I guess I'll cross my fingers. We only have 6 days on Curacao as it is.

One question, could you pass on the info about the private tour guide for the different beaches? We've been back-and-forth about renting a car to do this. Would love to find a good small tour group or private tour to do some beach hopping.

Thanks!

NJcabanas

New Jersey/New York
Level Contributor
63 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report - Just got back

We orginally wanted to do a tour of the beaches with a tour company but they were all booked for the day we wanted to go. so the hotel suggested someone who used to work for a company but now does private tours himself. he was ok but i think i prefer going on tours with a tour group.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
250 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report - Just got back

Try Caribbean Bayside Tour. Arlette does a great job and now also has a new tour of their Pasa-Fino 'Dancing' horses at their ranch.

http://www.caribbeanbayside.com/

Curacao
Level Contributor
284 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report - Just got back

Nice report indeed! Thanks for sharing, I'm glad you enjoyed! The island has good food indeed, unlike others who often say the island doesn't.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
1,342 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Report - Just got back

A tour guide is good added value but if your interest is to go see a few of the most popular beaches, Curacao is relatively easy to navigate once you are out of the city - and the city is not that bad once you understand the ring road - the drive and dive map is good and shows all attractions. These are also well indicated with brown signs by the road.

Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
435 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Report - Just got back

Enjoyed your report........

Sorry to hear about your Continental fiasco. Same thing happened to us when we were going to Cancun a couple years ago.........

7. Re: Trip Report - Just got back

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 January 2010, 05:17