We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do not rent from Hertz on Curacao

Boston
Level Contributor
624 posts
70 reviews
Save Topic
Do not rent from Hertz on Curacao

The only unfriendly, rude people I dealt with on the island worked for Hertz.

When I arrived at the airport, the person at the desk took at least 10 minutes for each person.

I returned the car to Breezes, the person was not at the desk, she went to pick someone at another hotel. No note and no apology

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
250 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Do not rent from Hertz on Curacao

Consider yourself lucky it was only 10 per person. Sometimes it is 30 minutes, and that goes for all the airport auto rentals.

La Crescenta...
Level Contributor
45 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Do not rent from Hertz on Curacao

Thanks for the tip! I was just going to change my Budget reservation to Hetz...

Destination Expert
for Curacao
Level Contributor
1,123 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Do not rent from Hertz on Curacao

Agreed- I'd take 10 minute any time !

Avis at the airport often only has one counter person working, and they have to walk to the car with you before you leave, so if you're say #5 in line, you're gonna have a long wait. They're friendly, though- just often understaffed. Plus their computer system and credit card approval is very slow. Actually, credit card approval is slow island wide, it seems...

Saint-Cloud, France
Level Contributor
69 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Do not rent from Hertz on Curacao

I have been renting cars from Hertz 5 times in the past 4 years, each time for a 2-week period and never had any problems.

Yes, waiting in line may be a bit long sometimes, but that is valid for any other car rental agency at the airport as well.

Hertz has great cars that are always fairly new, I would definitely recommend them.

Boston
Level Contributor
624 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Do not rent from Hertz on Curacao

Just to give a few more details

The other rental car agencies moved faster at the airport

I've only had trouble with getting a car at two Hertx locations both in the Caribeen

the other thing to know is they don't offer 24/7 drop off at the airport ( but that is an airport rule because it applies to all companies)

St. Louis
Level Contributor
80 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Do not rent from Hertz on Curacao

We rented from the Hertz at the Hyatt. The service was just OK, but they only have 1 GPS there, so if you want it, you need to request it early. Also, it took them 3 days advanced notice to find a car seat for my 1 year old. They nearly cancled the reseveration on me beause they couldnt find one. The told me the night before they they were going to try the airport location, and if they didn't have it, they were canceling it.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
5 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Do not rent from Hertz on Curacao

Had a horrible experience with Hertz at the airport today. Took 90 minutes to get my car. No problems other than that's as fast as they could be bothered to get to me in the line and then take me to the car. Staff were rude and incompetent. They tried to overcharge people returning cars ahead of me and then tried to overcharge me (until I showed them my printed confirmation). Virtually everyone who dealt with Hertz during my 90 minutes waiting ended up angry. Oh, and the guy who did the pre-inspection of my car tried *not* to mark down lots of obvious damage and had to be prompted. Scam city.

8. Re: Do not rent from Hertz on Curacao

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 September 2014, 10:30
Munich, Germany
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Do not rent from Hertz on Curacao

DO NOT RENT FROM HERTZ CURACAO!

Allthough I give back the rental car and everything was fine, they still keep the 500 USD deposit for at least two weeks. Now I do not mind leaving a small safety deposit for traffic fines, but I believe that 500 USD is a bit much. Next to that they have my home address!

Further on they did not properly handle my complaint during the rental time and on the return day of the battery problems the car had every day! They did note make a note, in order to prevent that the same problem happens again and during the rental period i had to call the road assistance instead of Hertz, and they wanted money for charging the battery.

By the way, the first car they offered us had no front window wiper blades, and it sure does rain over there!

10. Re: Do not rent from Hertz on Curacao

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 November 2012, 05:17