We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

rental car break in at holta caves

conroe
Level Contributor
50 posts
67 reviews
Save Topic
rental car break in at holta caves

just got back and had a window broken and my suitcase and girfriends purse taken from back of car these items where not in plane sight and it appears somebody drove up in there car broke my window and the rental car parked next to mine the manger at the caves was saying it happens all the time love the island but they really need better police protection it seems they do not try to catch the thief. anybody else had a problem with this??

NC
Level Contributor
355 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: rental car break in at holta caves

this makes me sad indeed. I hope your girlfriends passport wasn't in her purse - what a nightmare that would be. Were the police helpful at all?

conroe
Level Contributor
50 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: rental car break in at holta caves

sadly her passport was in her purse and it was not too bad getting another one except for the waisted time we spent trying to get it. that was the down sad the police took over 4 hours to make a simple report it took 30mins to get to the caves for the report then a 2 hours to make a report then 2 hours at the police station to get the report the day shot just waiting around like a said the island is great wonderful beachs but lacks security where needed and the break ins are on the rise so they tell me

Willemstad, Curacao
Destination Expert
for Willemstad, Curacao
Level Contributor
1,962 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: rental car break in at holta caves

This type of break in are not really on the rise. This has been happening for years already. Luckily it does not happen often. Both tourists and locals are victims of this. Especially on the remote areas you have to be careful. The advice is not to leave anything in the car especially not in sight. Also at night where big crowds are gathering this tends to happen. Most event organizers put security in place now. Mambo beach parking lot has been notorious for this some time back,

By the way where are the Holta Caves ??? I never heard of them or maybe we locals call them a different name

Edited: 18 July 2011, 01:52
Dallas, TX
Level Contributor
383 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: rental car break in at holta caves

huub9999,

I think the OP means Hato Caves.

conroe
Level Contributor
50 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: rental car break in at holta caves

say what you want too but it seems this type of break in is on the rise the hato caves seem to have a majior problem with this type of break in as the manager told us, she told us it had gotten so bad that she was finally going to hire somebody to watch the parking lot we had nothing in site as the the car next to ours had nothing in site we went to every beach in the westpunt region also also around the st willibrordus area and did not have any problems, so it does seem strange that at one of the spots on a majior highway we got robbed

Bonaire
Level Contributor
5,944 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: rental car break in at holta caves

I hate reading this kind of post..sadly this is something that happens in many countries..it is not isolated to CUR. When folks leave valuables in their car (do not get how people do this...) and criminals break in, it reinforces their nature to steal...leave windows down and do NOT bring valuables to any public area.

Westchester, New...
Level Contributor
596 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: rental car break in at holta caves

Everyone hates to read about break-ins but it does happen all over. The best advice is don't leave anything you treasure or value in the car or trunk.

Just because you are visiting Paradise doesn't mean you leave your common sense home. Use the same rules you use at home.

Be aware of your surroundings, especially tourist areas. Thieves love crowds.

It's a shame and very sad but in today's economy you will see more robberies going on everywhere.

Sorry for your friend's loss and vacation time lost.

baltimore
Level Contributor
151 posts
431 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: rental car break in at holta caves

Make a copy of your passport before you leave home so you can carry this around if needed). Email a copy of your passport to yourself so if something happens it is easier to replace. Always leave your passport locked in a safe once you are at your desintation. As others have said, do not leave anything of value in your car. Leave the car unlocked. When traveling to the islands, leave expensive jewelry and valuables at home.

conroe
Level Contributor
50 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: rental car break in at holta caves

all the advice is nice but we allready know what to do we just forgot to put her passport away that day we did not have much problem getting a replacement from the us embasy. this could go on forever, i am just upset at the manager of the hoto caves for not providing better security at her parking lot when she said that break ins had become a problem their. even if i had nothing inthe car they would stillhave broken the window because we had nothing is site and put nothing in the truck when we got their. a security guard would have least stoped them from breaking the window. it is easy for the theives to just break the window then look for something.

STUART, FL
Level Contributor
282 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: rental car break in at holta caves

If you are going under water diving for an hour, what other choice do you have but to leave your sunglasses, sandals, wallet, etc. in your vehicle? Yes, you can put your keys in your BC pocket, but not the rest of the stuff. If you stop by the grocery after you leave the airport, you have to leave suitcases in the car. What then?