We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Are there any dishes, snacks typical for Curacao?

Which Curacao hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Torun, Poland
Level Contributor
235 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Are there any dishes, snacks typical for Curacao?

When I travel I like to explore the local cuisine. Are there any dishes I should try? Can you suggest any places to eat, where only the locals go? Not touristy places, it can even be a road snack bar, if it's very popular among the locals, this kind of stuff. Any information highly appreciated.

I'll be staying in Lagun, but will have a car rented for the whole stay, so no problem with transport :)

Willemstad, Curacao
Destination Expert
for Willemstad, Curacao
Level Contributor
1,939 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Are there any dishes, snacks typical for Curacao?

You are staying at lagun that is on the westside of the island. In westpoint you have Jaanchi's which serves good local dishes. Lot's of tourist go there but as a local I can assure you the local dishes are OK. On the road to town from westpoint you have at Dokterstuin restaurant Komedor Krioyo. Also good local dishes. There are plenty of other small places on the westside that serve excellent local food.

Now the place to really sample local dishes is in town in the old market (punda side). This you have to do at lunchtime. One other place at piscadera bay is called Awa di Playa serves excellent fish.

We eat plenty of fish, stews and soups. You can get them at all the places I mentioned. I will just name a few. Giambo (ocra soup), Karko(conch meat), Beef or Goat stew, Papaya stew, Komkommer stew, Boonchi (red kidney beans, this can be soup or some kind of stew with meat). Lots of these are served with funchi (polenta). Ask at places I just mentioned they will give plenty of options.

You can go to all the places I mentioned but do not miss the old market in town. That is quite an experience. It is crowded an everybody eats over there.

Destination Expert
for Curacao
Level Contributor
1,123 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Are there any dishes, snacks typical for Curacao?

I totally agree about Komedor Krioyo at Landhuis Dokterstuin. That's a great place for good local food at a nice price. Awa di Playa too, another good place.

Curacao
Level Contributor
841 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Are there any dishes, snacks typical for Curacao?

A couple of local "snacks"

Loempias (chicken and sprouts filled spring rolls) - our favorites are at Wa On across the street from the police station on Winston Churchill Weg - almost to the lights on the ring road.

Pastechis - Try them at Silva's on Santa Rosa Weg in the little strip mall almost across from McDonald's but you can find them many places - in the mornings.

There are other savory pastries as well. Huub, a little help - the name of the one made from cornmeal, johnny cakes etc.

Cold, very cold beers at all the snacks along the road.

Also by the side of the road and at some of the beaches on the weekends, there are women who sell cookies and peanut desserts.

If you are lucky, you'll find someone selling freshed squeezed juices from the tamarijn or sorsaka fruits.

It's Dutch but.... in front of the Albert Heijn grocery store on Thursday, Friday and Saturday, Piet and Annemieke sell the extremely popular "niuwe herring". Not quite sushi but lightly salted fish. They usually sell out before 5PM.

On New Years Day - oilie bollens - donut hole like things stuffed with apples and raisins. Mine are not very good but will be the bread of the weekend....

There are locals who sell meals to go on the weekends. A couple of interesting side dishes are funchi (cornmeal) and Tu Tu (a sweet black bean concoction).

Willemstad, Curacao
Destination Expert
for Willemstad, Curacao
Level Contributor
1,939 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Are there any dishes, snacks typical for Curacao?

The list of Sunshine is very accurate. These are indeed our local snacks and they are all good.

The name of the pastry made of cornmeal is called Empana. This one actually originated from Venezuela but we make it better :-)

Torun, Poland
Level Contributor
235 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Are there any dishes, snacks typical for Curacao?

Thank you all for your prompt replies :) I'm getting hungry now, lol :)

6. Re: Are there any dishes, snacks typical for Curacao?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 November 2012, 05:19