We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Marriott - Family of 4 with 12 and 7 year old boys

New York
Level Contributor
488 posts
121 reviews
Save Topic
Marriott - Family of 4 with 12 and 7 year old boys

Hi, I have Marriott points that I am going to use for a Easter Break trip, and have narrowed it down to Curacao, St. Kitts, Costa Rica. (We have been to many islands and are favorites are Anguilla, St. John, St. Thomas, Jamaica, and Riviera Maya). We are seeking a resort with Kids activities, as well as lots of sight seeing on island. We love to snorkel, and I understand the rooms at the Marriott are going to be refurbished. Any insight would be appreciated!

Virginia
Level Contributor
969 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Marriott - Family of 4 with 12 and 7 year old boys

While I loved the Marriott, there aren't any kids activities and the rooms won't be renovated in your time frame. The snorkeling from the beach was pretty good.

Willemstad, Curacao
Level Contributor
464 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Marriott - Family of 4 with 12 and 7 year old boys

There is also the Renaissance hotel. It is right in the city of willemstad, has a lovely pool and "beach" area around it, with an outdoor mall, and a cinema. Although, it does not have snorkeling, as the marriott has. The renaissance is a fairly new hotel, so no need to worry about worn out rooms.

The only downside of this hotel is not having a real beach. The hotel beach is actually an salt water infinity pool with a sand bottom. its just like a real beach but smaller, and on the second floor.

I am hoping you plan to rent a car, because regardless which hotel you choose to stay at, the best beaches are on the western part of the island, and taxis are quite expensive. driving around the island is easy and there are many known car rentals on the island like avis, hertz, national, etc..

depending on how active you are, you might only need the car for a few days, as you dont need a car for the days you are exploring the city, or just hanging out at the hotel beach and pool.

Destination Expert
for Curacao
Level Contributor
1,127 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Marriott - Family of 4 with 12 and 7 year old boys

We stayed at the Hilton (right next store to the Marriott) with (at the time) our 15 & 12 years olds, and frankly would have had fun where ever we stayed. The kids love the water, and we felt very safe giving them the run of the place. We went to different beaches to snorkel, went to Shete Boca and Cristoffel parks, walked around town and across the pontoon bridge , visited landhuises, and generally showed them the island during the day. They snorkeled, swam in the pools, searched for seaglass, and played with other kids when we were at the hotel. Not a lot of kids, though. Most of the guests were (and continue to be) Dutch, and often travel without their children. At night, we’d have dinner, the watch movies and play games. By 9 or 10 o’clock, we were all ready to call it a night. We really enjoyed having the time together, and it was a terrific family vacation.

As Francis noted, while it's a beautiful hotel, the Renaissance doesn't have ocean access, so you can't snorkel there. And I really wouldn't favor the location (right in town) while travelling with kids.

Wantagh, New York
Level Contributor
2,051 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Marriott - Family of 4 with 12 and 7 year old boys

Stay at the Marriott....we just got back...it was great.....perfect location to do other things and the snorkeling was the best we found on the Island and so easy to do. The room was great, no complaints and they are doing room renovations.

5. Re: Marriott - Family of 4 with 12 and 7 year old boys

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 December 2012, 10:17
Get answers to your questions about Curacao