We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Curacao seeing wildlife on land

Which Curacao hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Parkton, Maryland
Level Contributor
250 posts
170 reviews
Save Topic
Curacao seeing wildlife on land

I know my hubby will enjoy the snorkeling but I wanted to ask is there much wildlife on the island? I like to see birds and other critters? Is there any special place on the island for birding?

Binghamton, New York
Level Contributor
73 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Curacao seeing wildlife on land

Birds, yes. Iguanas, yes. Goats, yes. Flamingos, maybe. Deer, maybe. Small mammals, maybe.

Check out the Flamingo reserve and you are very likely to see Flamingos.

Go to Christoffel park and you may see some wildlife (deer, rodents, etc) (http://www.christoffelpark.org/).

Not much by way of lions, tigers or bears. :)

Willemstad, Curacao
Destination Expert
for Willemstad, Curacao
Level Contributor
1,933 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Curacao seeing wildlife on land

Agree with the previous post. We have deers in the christoffel park but very difficult to see.

Flamingos you can see at Willebrodus and road to Bullenbaai (Salinja of St Michiel). Also at Jan THiel. But the first two spots easier.

Birds you can see many species. We have a small snake but not easy to spot. The Donkeys are on the northcoast mainly and they come out at night.

Christoffel park you can see birds. I had visitor who said it was pretty good for birding. Also near the spots where the flamingo's are especially in the morning hours.

Parkton, Maryland
Level Contributor
250 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Curacao seeing wildlife on land

Thank you for the reply.

Parkton, Maryland
Level Contributor
250 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Curacao seeing wildlife on land

Thank You Huub9999 for the reply. I can not wait to go.

Parkton, Maryland
Level Contributor
250 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Curacao seeing wildlife on land

I also wanted to ask, is there a certain time of year you can see the nesting turtles on the beach?

Also, are there whale watching tours and what time of year could you see the whales?

Thanks in advance for the replies.

Destination Expert
for Curacao
Level Contributor
1,122 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Curacao seeing wildlife on land

Be sure to check out the iguanas at Jaanchies. The sauce is wonderful :)

Cristoffel Park is a good recommendation for birding. Elsewhere, you'll see lots of trupials (a type of oriole), parakeets and parots (in the countryside), flamingos in a few specific spots, frigate birds & pelicans. See this site for more:

nealins.net/Carribean/…20Curacao.htm

Grab a mask and snorkel to see the best wildlife !

Edited: 06 December 2011, 13:29
Willemstad, Curacao
Destination Expert
for Willemstad, Curacao
Level Contributor
1,933 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Curacao seeing wildlife on land

Unfortunately no whale watching around the ABC islands. A whale is spotted from time to time but this is not normal. Most of them are lost when they are around this area.

Regarding the turtles I cannot give you an answer in what period they nest. On Curacao they are not spotted often. They normally do not nest on the beaches on the south coast but more on the very secluded areas on the north coast. These areas are very difficult to get to and they are not frequented by people especially not at night. On Aruba I know they nest on the south side of the Island even in the Hotel area

Parkton, Maryland
Level Contributor
250 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Curacao seeing wildlife on land

Thanks for the link and the reply.

9. Re: Curacao seeing wildlife on land

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 07 December 2011, 15:25
10. Re: Curacao seeing wildlife on land

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 December 2012, 10:18