We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Will we like Curacao?

Which Curacao hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Peterborough, NH
Level Contributor
543 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Will we like Curacao?

My wife and I have been doing a Caribbean vacation every year now for four years and are narrowing in on the kind of islands we like to stay at. I am wondering if Curacao will fit us.

We prefer less commercialized islands that are safe to explore. We do like to hike and take walks (I already know there is plenty of geocaching to keep us entertained), will likely dive one day, and spend plenty of time just unwinding. Don't need big night scene but a few nice (local flavor) restaurants will do just fine.

We also hope to find a place on the beach. We stayed in Nevis last year and that was just our speed but we hope to try a different island every year.

If we are a good fit for Curacao, any suggestions on which part of the island we should consider and any particular small resorts to check out?

Thanks!

Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
14,963 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Will we like Curacao?

We were in Curacao last month. Spent a few nights on Spanish Waters at Limestone Holiday. Loved the Limestone, small quiet, nicely landscaped.

We usually stay on islands with way less people. The amount of traffic in/around Willemstad was a bit of a surprise, not that the driving was difficult.

We also usually stay on islands where restaurants on walkable from where we stay. We did get tired of driving for food/drinks every day.

We also stayed in Westpunt for a couple of nights. Loved it. Although the restaurant choices are quite limited. Beautiful area.

Finished up our trip at Hotel Kura Halanda, right in downtown Willemstad. We enjoyed being able to walk everywhere, but, a couple of days in town was plenty.

In between these stays, we spent five nights on Bonaire. Much more our style. We stayed close to to town, could walk to an amazing variety of excellent restaurants. During the day we did drive to various snorkel sites and toured the island, but, much less traffic and people than on Curacao.

In the end, we enjoyed our time in Curacao, but we fell in love with Bonaire.

We've been to Nevis as well, we liked it there as well. Once again, had to drive too much (or in our case, take a cab). I think we're too old to learn to drive on the 'wrong' side of the road......

Peterborough, NH
Level Contributor
543 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Will we like Curacao?

JeanH, thanks for the quick reply. I was originally thinking we stay a few nights in Willemsted and then fly to Bonaire for a week but we are having a hard time logistically finding flights!

As for Nevis, we took their "public" vans...they were dirt cheap, ran very frequently into town, and were easy to use! Used them all week while we were there. Heck, locals offered us free rides on several occasions including one couple who offered us a free tour of the entire island because they had no plans the next day. Incredibly friendly people!

Willington...
Destination Expert
for Curacao
Level Contributor
5,168 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Will we like Curacao?

Check out the Lodge and Hotel Kurahulanda, they are sister hotels on different parts of the island. Diving and snorkling on the island is wonderful as are the beaches. Food is fabulous.

Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
14,963 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Will we like Curacao?

We flew on Insel Air between the two islands. There are other smaller airlines as well.

We took the vans on Nevis as well. At least during the day, I think they 'changed' into cabs at night. Or, maybe I'm thinking of Grenada???

We ate one night at the Lodge Kura Hulanda, since Landhuid Misje was closed. The food wasn't very good and pretty expensive.

Otherwise, we found the food on Curacao to be very good.

Peterborough, NH
Level Contributor
543 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Will we like Curacao?

Thanks Jean & Ralphy...finishing up plans now but we will focus on Bonaire with a short stay in Willemstad at the Kura Hulanda.

Maryland
Level Contributor
123 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Will we like Curacao?

For hking, read reviews of Mt. Cristoffel.

7. Re: Will we like Curacao?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 March 2013, 10:29