We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Anyone have experience with Avianca (via Bogota)?

Jersey City, New...
Level Contributor
182 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Anyone have experience with Avianca (via Bogota)?

The best fares we're finding going into Curacao are via Bogota on Avianca airlines from JFK. THere is a 2 hour layover, but I wasnt sure if I have to clear customs/immigration upon landing in Bogota and then go through security again to get on the flight to CUR. Anyone have experience flying to CUR via. Avianca?

Thanks

Willington...
Destination Expert
for Curacao
Level Contributor
5,178 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Anyone have experience with Avianca (via Bogota)?

Don't know why I'm telling you this, but don't do it

Jersey City, New...
Level Contributor
182 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Anyone have experience with Avianca (via Bogota)?

Care to elaborate and tell me why?

London, United...
Level Contributor
108 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Anyone have experience with Avianca (via Bogota)?

I don't know and never heard about someone flying from the US to Colombia then to Curacao.

I think your best option is JFK-Miami-Curacao with American Airlines or

JFK-Charlotte with Us airways and Charlotte-Curacao with Insel air. (only on Wednesday day ans Saturdays.)

Insel air and Us airways has interline agreements with each other so they will transfer you baggage automatically

Jersey City, New...
Level Contributor
182 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Anyone have experience with Avianca (via Bogota)?

Interesting. It doesn't sound like to Columbia to Curacao route is a new one. I do know that flights between US and Columbia have been more frequently seen.

Also interesting that there doesn't seem to be too much people posting this itinerary either. I did a search on this forum and haven't seen much.

Willemstad, Curacao
Destination Expert
for Willemstad, Curacao
Level Contributor
1,942 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Anyone have experience with Avianca (via Bogota)?

I did not fly this but know people that did this. Both were very pleased with this service. They both flew into JFK. The service on board was way better than any US airline they told me.

Besides that I know lots of others that use avianca to fly to other latin american countries with layover in Bogota and till now no complaints. They all are very pleased especially with the service onboard.

Personally I would use this service too as long as it is the cheapest option.

I think the thing is not many people know about this possibility that is why it is not mentioned much.

And one other thing there nothing new about this route. Avianca has been flying to both Curacao and JFK for years now. Again it is an unkown and not much talked about option.

Edited: 20 February 2012, 12:20
Willington...
Destination Expert
for Curacao
Level Contributor
5,178 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Anyone have experience with Avianca (via Bogota)?

A few years ago we had a group trip and two of them did that route because they felt it cheaper, they were delayed at Columbia airport and security had guns, they didn't feel comfortable as Americans being there. Find a flight thru Jersey or NY.

Jersey City, New...
Level Contributor
182 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Anyone have experience with Avianca (via Bogota)?

Ralphy, thanks for the input. This is good to know, as the layover is at night (leaving CUR at 6:40, then 3 hr layover and overnight flight to JFK). I would take the Continental/United flight out of Newark which is actually more convenient for me as I live 10 min from EWR, but for some reason they arent selling flights for any weekend in May for that route. Ironically, I can get any date in April or June, but not May. No idea why.

hubb - thanks for the info. does traveling with a 3 year old change your opinion at all? I am a bit inclined to take this flight given the much better inflight experience (and bigger plane) but there just seems to be some uneasiness with Columbia both from this thread and some other threads on the aruba forum

Willington...
Destination Expert
for Curacao
Level Contributor
5,178 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Anyone have experience with Avianca (via Bogota)?

Continental is strange with their flights I was looking at Sept 1-8 one time and the next week it was gone.

Jersey City, New...
Level Contributor
182 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Anyone have experience with Avianca (via Bogota)?

Yeah i think im juset going to move my dates. Id rather have the non stop flight. I was trying tok schedule it for memorial day weekend so that its one less day to take off work but that doesnt look like itll work

Willemstad, Curacao
Destination Expert
for Willemstad, Curacao
Level Contributor
1,942 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Anyone have experience with Avianca (via Bogota)?

It will not change my opinion but I would take more precautions if travelling with a 3yr old. I do not know the Bogota airport and because of the unknown factor I would rather have a delay at a US airport with a small child than at Bogota airport.