We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Island hopping by boat/ferry/cruise ships?

Ukraine
Level Contributor
77 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Island hopping by boat/ferry/cruise ships?

Hi,

We arrive to Curacao end April and have just 7 days to visit a few islands (flying back from Curacao, too).

My two favourite activities (diving and island hopping) don't go very well together as the only viable option to visit ABC islands (+maybe Sint Maarten) seems to be taking a few planes.

I know Netherland Antilles are largely void of ferries (except for St Maarten with the adjacent islands), but is there any other option to visit 3-4 islands in a week (ABC a must, any other island - a good bonus)? Cruise ships maybe?

Thanks!

Willington...
Destination Expert
for Curacao
Level Contributor
5,221 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Island hopping by boat/ferry/cruise ships?

My answer would be plane

Willemstad, Curacao
Destination Expert
for Willemstad, Curacao
Level Contributor
1,961 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Island hopping by boat/ferry/cruise ships?

Plane is your only option. 4 Islands in a week this sounds like a cruise. Close to curacao is Aruba or Bonaire that are frequently done for a one day visit. You have more than one flight a day so you can hop over on the first flight and come back at night. Al other Islands are at least 1hr 15 min away by plane and most of them have only a couple of flights a week. Only st martin has daily flights.

There are a couple of irregular connection between the ABC islands especially from Cur to Bon by boat. But these you need to know about most of the time on smaller vessels and in april with the winds we have in that period it will be a bumpy ride.

Plane is your option

Ukraine
Level Contributor
77 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Island hopping by boat/ferry/cruise ships?

Thanks! I will indeed be flying then.

For the "domestic" flights on ABC islands, is booking in advance needed? Or I can just walk in and buy a ticket for a plane due to depart in 1-2-3 hours? I see so many planes between these 3 islands so this was my impression...

Willemstad, Curacao
Destination Expert
for Willemstad, Curacao
Level Contributor
1,961 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Island hopping by boat/ferry/cruise ships?

It all depends when and at what time of day you are flying. Depending which Holidays and what popular activities are going on at the different Islands flights can be full weeks to months in advance. During workdays the 1st flights and the flights around 5/6PM tend to be full with people travelling for work. But this varies.

If the flights are full you can get to the airport buy a ticket and get on the plane. Be there 2 hrs in advance.

5. Re: Island hopping by boat/ferry/cruise ships?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2013, 11:41