We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

7 Hr Layover in Curacao-Want to go to a local restaurant

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
Save Topic
7 Hr Layover in Curacao-Want to go to a local restaurant

My family & I will have a seven hour layover in Curacao coming from Venezuela to Miami. We would really like to try some authentic Caribbean food. I was wondering if we would have enough time to go to Golden Star for lunch by taxi and then be back at the American Airlines counter to board for Miami. Does anyone know if you can check your luggage in with American Airlines earlier? or is there any kind of luggage storage? Is Golden Star a good place to try authentic island food? We will be coming back on a Sunday. Any feedback would be helpful.

Thanks,

Willemstad, Curacao
Destination Expert
for Willemstad, Curacao
Level Contributor
1,962 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 7 Hr Layover in Curacao-Want to go to a local restaurant

Golden star is OK. Have not been there in a while but it still suppose to be OK.

My recommendation would be go to the Old Market downtown. Serves good food. This place is frequented by tourists and locals.

I do not know at what time you get to Curacao but if you try to be there just before noon like 11:50 (just before the crowd) you should have plenty of time to eat and head back to the airport. You can even do a small stroll downtown.

Edited: 31 March 2012, 06:45
Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: 7 Hr Layover in Curacao-Want to go to a local restaurant

Thanks for the advice. Would the Old Market downtown be open on a Sunday?

Creston, Canada
Level Contributor
524 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 7 Hr Layover in Curacao-Want to go to a local restaurant

I would also highly recommend the old market, but unfortunately it is closed on sundays

Willemstad, Curacao
Destination Expert
for Willemstad, Curacao
Level Contributor
1,962 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 7 Hr Layover in Curacao-Want to go to a local restaurant

No closed on sundays.

One other place is Komedor Krioyo at dokterstuin (west side). This is about a 20 min drive from the airport.

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: 7 Hr Layover in Curacao-Want to go to a local restaurant

Thanks for letting me know that. What place would you all recommend for authentic Caribbean food on a Sunday afternoon drive from the airport area? Golden Star, Seaside Terrace or Komedor Krioyo? Thanks.

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: 7 Hr Layover in Curacao-Want to go to a local restaurant

Thanks for letting me know about the Komedor Krioyo. I'm glad it's open on Sundays. Where would you recommend buying gouda cheese and Dutch chocolates?

Willington...
Destination Expert
for Curacao
Level Contributor
5,298 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 7 Hr Layover in Curacao-Want to go to a local restaurant

The centrum supermarket has both

Willington...
Destination Expert
for Curacao
Level Contributor
5,298 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 7 Hr Layover in Curacao-Want to go to a local restaurant

What do you consider to be authentic caribbean food? I don't think Curacao has any.

Rotterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Curacao
Level Contributor
673 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 7 Hr Layover in Curacao-Want to go to a local restaurant

You could stop by Centrum Supermarket on the way back to the airport for cheese and chocolates, but I'd suggest getting it at the airport. There's a place called The Cheese Stand, they sell full wheels and many different types of dutch cheese as well as Dutch and Belgian chocolates.

The shop is located in the departure hall after Security and Immigration, to the right.

Benji

PS. I definitely suggest Komedor Krioyo for authentic Local food.

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: 7 Hr Layover in Curacao-Want to go to a local restaurant

Thanks everyone I'm so excited to try some good local food and spend an afternoon in Curacao!