We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

coral estates or marazul

portland oregon
Level Contributor
48 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
coral estates or marazul

Need some advice-Family of 4, 2 adults ,2 kids ages 16 and 12. We dive, snorkel,bike, like low key, peaceful areas. Considering rental at coral estates or Marazul. Would like to be close to sea, good snorkeling,diving. Any advice appreciated!

Curacao
Level Contributor
846 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: coral estates or marazul

The villas at Coral Estates are beautiful. They have full size kitchens and most of them, a pool. However, depending on your vacation dates, the dive shop is not currently open. This isn't a huge problem as there are dive ops at 4 other locations on the West end alone.

Marazul is in Westpunt, a village rather than a development. They have stairs to the sea and are within a few miles of 5 beaches. Go West Diving is located in Westpunt, just a mile or so away and Discover diving and Bahia Diving are about 3 miles away in Lagun.

portland oregon
Level Contributor
48 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: coral estates or marazul

Are the beaches better towards marazul?

Curacao
Level Contributor
846 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: coral estates or marazul

The nearest beaches to Coral Estates are Daibooi; a small rustic beach and Porto Marie; a tourist favorite with a great restaurant and a double reef dive. Heading West the next beach would be my suggestion for "what most tourists are looking for" Cas Abou. It costs $6 a car to get in and $3 a beach bed (everywhere). But there are bathrooms, showers, white sand and palm trees. After CA there are a number of beaches at San Juan that are coral strewn and Au natural with great dive sites, another similar hidden dive site/beach at Playa Hundu, the beach and dive at Santa Marta, and a small but great snorkeling place in Lagun. After Lagun are the Jeremi and 2 Knip beaches. I think Big Knip (Playa Abou) is one of the prettiest beaches. In Westpunt there are3 beaches; all with great snorkeling and diving but without the trucked in white sand. You will need water shoes at all locations. If you stay at Coral Estates, you'll need to drive to any beach except the one in front of Habitat. From there to Westpunt is about 25 minute drive. And of course the reverse when staying at Marazul and driving to Porto Marie.

portland oregon
Level Contributor
48 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: coral estates or marazul

To start, I would like to say Thank you for all of your help! You are a wealth of information. Coral estates does have ocean access correct? We are ok without a beach directly at the resort, but would like to swim in the ocean in the morning from time to time. Both areas sound wonderful, I am thinking where ever we stay will be a win -win!

Willemstad, Curacao
Destination Expert
for Willemstad, Curacao
Level Contributor
1,956 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: coral estates or marazul

I cannot add more info than Sunshine already provided. Both areas indeed are nice. The only thing to consider is if you plan to drive to town from time to time for dinner. Coral estate is like 20min closer to town then Marazul. Enjoy your stay

Level Contributor
26 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: coral estates or marazul

We stayed at Coral Estates in March and the beach access was closed off by a fence. I am not sure if it is still that way, but it appeared as though work was being done to turn the old Habitat Resort into a Coral Estates lifestyle center. We walked on both sides of the property and there was no way of getting through to the beach. It was a bit disappointing. Maybe someone else knows if the beach is still restricted.

Cape May Court...
Level Contributor
338 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: coral estates or marazul

Go to VRBO.....we have a 3 bedroom bungalow at Playa Lagun.......you are right on the water and 30 yards from the beach with 2 great diving operations right there.....have a great time

Crested Butte...
Level Contributor
73 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: coral estates or marazul

Haven't been to Coral Estates, but a few weeks ago we stayed at Marazul for ten days with our 12 and 14 year olds. I highly recommend it. There are two sets of steps carved into the cliff in front of the units so you can directly access the water - literally seconds from the front door - and swim or snorkel or dive. Within a ten minute drive there are the Knip beaches and Playa Kalki. Playa Lagun is about 15 minutes away, and Cas Abou 10 or 15 beyond that. All those beaches had good snorkeling. Though we hadn't planned it before we left, my kids got certified for scuba while we were there; Go West Diving was incredible, totally professional and willing to work around our schedule. My kids thought their instructor, who they had to themselves the whole time, was awesome. Also, the dive shop was just a few minutes drive away. At Marazul, there isn't much to do at night without a drive, but we mostly like to eat in anyway. We did enjoy dinners at Rancho El Sobrino (next door) and Sol Food (five minute drive). We were never able to fit in biking, but there are bikes for rent in Westpunt. We spent one day seeing Willemstad and some of the east end of the island, but even if we'd been staying closer, I'm not sure we would have gone to the city more anyway. The only thing I can think of that was a little inconvenient was not having a grocery store closer, but we just had to plan trips to Centrum when we were going that direction - not a big deal. Our unit, which we found on VRBO, was simple, but in perfect shape with a clean, well-equiped kitchen and mostly new appliances. If you stay at Marazul, make sure you get a/c, screened doors and windows, and hot water, as I understand there are some units that don't have these. Also, rent a unit in front, overlooking the ocean. Like you, we were looking for low key, with snorkeling and diving, and we were really happy with Marazul.

9. Re: coral estates or marazul

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2013, 03:16