We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Stay at home?

Which Curacao hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Iowa
Level Contributor
372 posts
Save Topic
Stay at home?

Would it be possible for me to pay for lodging, meals, and car rental with only $200/day or should I save more money go at a later time when I can afford to pay more?

Townsend, MA
Destination Expert
for Curacao
Level Contributor
1,863 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Stay at home?

Well, you can stay at the HOJOs in Willemstad for 10 days for $1500 including airfare from DesMoines (Just in case iowaguy is from iowa LOL)

From Cheapcarribean.com - they are not the least expensive booking

company - just the one that showed up in my email this morning.

Car rental will be $45/day. Food can be as expensive or inexpensive as you make it.

Your original question did not include airfare? Did you mean airfare, lodging, meals and car for $200/day or exclusive of airfare?

It will cost us about $380/day including airfare and a car to stay at an all-inclusive for 10 days. Ocean front room, leaving from Boston for the two of us - so $3800 total for our trip.

Edited: 01 October 2012, 14:18
New York
Level Contributor
758 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Stay at home?

I have Marriott Rewards and AAA. Hotel rooms vary in price similar to air plane costs. You have to keep checking the sites and I always book directly through the Resort. We are staying at the Marriott for $113 (plus taxes of course) using our AAA. That is a bargin. Also check out Priceline.com. Although I have never used them, many have for Aruba resorts. For more info regarding Priceline, go the the Aruba Trip Adviser and I'm sure someone would help you as it has been a topic many times in the past.

Iowa
Level Contributor
372 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Stay at home?

The $200/day budget is for lodging, food, and car rental.

Has anyone heard of lodging that might charge a bit less for the solo traveler?

NYArubaSue, where do you eat most of your meals?

Iowa
Level Contributor
372 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Stay at home?

NYArubaSue, did you use some of your Marriott Rewards to get that rate? I have AAA and nightly rate was still $240.

New York
Level Contributor
758 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Stay at home?

This will be my first trip to Cuarsao so can't help with dining question. I also would be interested in finding reasonable dining. We are renting a car for 4 days from Just Drive Cuarsao for $45 a day but I understand Prins has cheaper rates. No, did not use Marriortt points only AAA rates for a garden view not ocean view. As I stated before, rates change all the time. When were you thinking of going?

Iowa
Level Contributor
372 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Stay at home?

I was hoping to go for 7-9 days during late January or early February 2013? When is your trip?

New York
Level Contributor
758 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Stay at home?

Next week... Your rates will be higher in the winter months. I always vacation in October or November, cheaper rates and the kids should all be back in school. LOL.

Willemstad, Curacao
Destination Expert
for Willemstad, Curacao
Level Contributor
1,932 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Stay at home?

Iowaguy1 Late January to early february is high season. Besides that you are close to the end of the carnival season which fills up the hotels. So prices tend to be higher during this period.

Main carnival parade will be in the weekend of february 10

Willington...
Destination Expert
for Curacao
Level Contributor
5,129 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Stay at home?

Iowaguy, I was reading some of your other posts, looks like you want to go somewhere but can't decide where, maybe staying home and researching more and saving more money is your best option for now. Winter months are expensive to travel.

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
100 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Stay at home?

We are going end of Feb & staying in Westpunt. Did a rental house thrum vrbo.com--3bed/3bath for $1385.00 for the week. There are 1bed units. Check out their site. Eat breakfast & lunch in then go out for dinner. Found airfare from Newark non-stop for $608 pp. Feel like we got a good deal. Booked air thrum Expedia. Car from Just DRive for $414. But that's a Toyota Rav 4. Do some more research before you give up. Good luck.