We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

AVIS at Hato Airport - horrible service

Fairview, Texas
Level Contributor
8 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
AVIS at Hato Airport - horrible service

AVIS should be avoided at all costs at Hato airport. They are a joke and will waste your time!

We arrived on 12/26 and walked to the counter to pick up our car. I am preferred, but they obviously didn't have that program at this location. There were a total of 4 people in line before me for a single agent (btw - all of the other agency's had two agents and no line)- no big deal right? Wrong! An HOUR later I get my keys to the car. This agent was so freaking slow it blew all of our minds!!

We then walk to the lot to get our car and what to we see? The 4 people in front of us plus one other still waiting for their car!! I blew a gasket and walked to the lot with another lady (who spoke the language) determined to get our car and go! We convince the inept agent that maybe she aught to check out more than one person at a time. She would walk about a 100 yards from her stand to the lot and back for each rental. And then they would blah-blah about non-event items like where to put your key in the car. Really?!? 30 minutes later we got our car. so 90 minutes in total with these idiots at AVIS.

I rent from AVIS a lot and I am moving to Hertz for my business needs.

Willemstad, Curacao
2 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: AVIS at Hato Airport - horrible service

We are verry sorry to hear your complaint.

Could you please send us your information, to enable us to handle this complaint?

Regards, Avis Curacao

reservation@aviscuracao.com

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,038 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: AVIS at Hato Airport - horrible service

Don't be to critical of Avis.

That is typical of all the big name rentals at the Curacao airport.

That is why we use the local rental companies.

We prefer D&D.

We were a little slow learning.

It took us 4 trips before we tried them now we won't consider going back.

We also use Avis for our regular us trips.

Destination Expert
for Curacao
Level Contributor
1,127 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: AVIS at Hato Airport - horrible service

First of all, I am impressed that Avis responded to your complaint here so quickly (not that it helps you now). That is most unusual, and I give them credit for that.

Second, I will say that all the rental counters seem to take turns being slow. I have used Avis at CUR perhaps six times, and have had mixed experiences. Sometimes someone is on break (leaving just one), or a KLM 747 landed just before my flight, creating a jam. But sometimes there is no line at Avis, while Budget or Thrifty or National is crowded. Coin toss, it seems to me.

Third, I have always gotten a nice car from Avis, usually very new (and sometimes upgraded), and supplied with a very good map (in the glovebox). I usually get a very competitive rate via the internet (sometimes rates change, and I’ll cancel and re-book). But you are right, “preferred” means nothing in terms of service, same as the other companies there. At least with Avis there are no yellow stripes painted on my tires, screaming TOURIST to any potential ne'er–do–well (Budget does that).

I do agree the dual-counter thing they have going now is nuts, and hope they figure out a better system. I can’t imagine they want to get their customers cranky, but sometimes they certainly do.

As for local companies who expect cash payment, I prefer dealing with a large company. In the event that the car is stolen, or I'm involved in a serious accident with major personal injuries, I don't want to be dealing with a mom & pop shop in a foreign country, especially once I'm back home. I've heard too many horror stories of folks who tried to save a few bucks, but got creamed in the end. Penny wise, pound foolish.

Townsend, MA
Destination Expert
for Curacao
Level Contributor
1,969 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: AVIS at Hato Airport - horrible service

I was also impressed Avis responded so quickly!

New Jersey
Level Contributor
10 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: AVIS at Hato Airport - horrible service

I agree with the horrible service at Avis.

Not only were they rude, when we returned the car at 5AM and there was no one there to receive it, they charged us an additional $19,67 for gas! The kicker was, we DID fill it before we returned it at a 24 hour station 4 miles down the road. They CHARGED my credit card the same evening then were dumb enough to email me after my complaint and told me they had to fill it 2 days later yet could not give me an answer as to why it was charged BEFORE it was filled.. These people are clairvoyant and can tell exactly the right amount down to the penny how much it is going to cost to fill the tank. They are liars and scams..........stay away from Avis in Curacao at ALL costs.

Willemstad, Curacao
2 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: AVIS at Hato Airport - horrible service

We charge per each 1/8 of the gas tank.

This car was returned with 7/8 so we charged 1/8 of the tank.

The car has been filled up a few days later with 16.795 liters.

A car that is missing almost 17 liters is defenitly not full.

Regards, Avis Curacao

New Jersey
Level Contributor
10 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: AVIS at Hato Airport - horrible service

again you are lying.........Stop trying to justify your unethical practices. AGAIN you still can't explain why you charged me the $19.67 2 days BEFORE you claim you actually filled it up. The tank was full. It was filled at the 24 hour gas station at the ring with the iguana statue. There is NO WAY 1/8 of a tank was used to get back to the airport less than 4 miles away. Still you can't explain how that exact amount of $19.67 was charged BEFORE it was actually filled. Stop making yourself look even less credible than you already are. Accept the responsibility that either my card was charged in error or another car was filled and misidentified as mine. $19.67 is not a lot of money to squabble about but when you are dishonest about it and will not admit your fault then that is where the line is drawn.

Cary, North Carolina
Destination Expert
for Curacao
Level Contributor
1,155 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: AVIS at Hato Airport - horrible service

Surprised to hear of your difficulties with Avis at Hato. Our experience with Avis has always been very positive. We have rented from them the last three trips (Sep, Apr, Jan) and found their prices to be better than National/Alamo and only a slight tick above Budget, which is worth it for the better condition of the Avis cars. They seem to be better staffed than the other brands to move multiple customers at a time through the line, and the ladies at the desk have always been cordial and efficient in getting us on our way quickly. On our last trip we had trouble with the car while going to dinner, took it back to the airport at 8:30pm, and were back on our way in another car within 15 minutes. Not even a charge for the minimal amount of gas we had used. I will continue to use Avis as my first choice, as long as pricing remains competitive. One thing I will advise for any car agency is to check and compare pricing shortly before your trip to your pre reservation. I saved about $50 for the week by making a new reservation and canceling the old one.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
10 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: AVIS at Hato Airport - horrible service

I am glad your experience with Avis was not as mine was. I still feel the same about them and I have spoken with other people on other forums that said the same that they were charged an additional gas fee when the car was dropped off with no one to check it in.

Willington...
Destination Expert
for Curacao
Level Contributor
5,221 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: AVIS at Hato Airport - horrible service

Dirtydirt, we rented with Prins this past May, the tank wasn't full when we picked the car up, it was 7/8 full. So upon returning that's how they got it back. National did the same to us one year, charged us extra for gas, even though we dropped it at the Marriott where we were staying and no one was there, so the front desk got the keys.