We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Curacao a good first time caribbean trip

Which Curacao hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
australia
Level Contributor
181 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Is Curacao a good first time caribbean trip

Looking for a mixed group to go on a trip to some where nice in the Caribbean in November, have been to Cuba and mexico only. Some want to do AI as easy, I personally don't want to lie about a resort all day, I want to enjoy the island culture, don't want it too Americanized, nothing against americans, love you, but I want a more island experience. Want to snorkel, ATV, casual cocktail beach bars,safe, and the odd night out to a bar and dressy restaurant. We will probably fly in from LA or NYC.

Willemstad, Curacao
Level Contributor
2,048 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is Curacao a good first time caribbean trip

Curacao is a more of European-latin-Caribbean destination (not like Jamaica). Aruba is very americanised. I believe that the AI options on Curacao are quiet limited and they have not the same standards as some of the other islands.

Curacao has wonderful beaches, great diving and snorkling options and a lot of culture (museums etc) The capital is a UN world heritage site. Best way to discover the island is to rent a car and drive around. It is a larger island than the ones next to it but still not too large. You have all kinds of restaurants from luxuary to local and laid back. There are a few beaches which have bars and some of them have some wild nights. Best way to fly in will be Miami I think although there might be some flights from NYC.

Willington...
Destination Expert
for Curacao
Level Contributor
5,167 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is Curacao a good first time caribbean trip

Curacao is a lot of Dutch with Americans thrown in. Lots of activities, atv,snorkling,diving,exploring and the most beautiful beaches. Great restaurants to choose from also.

australia
Level Contributor
181 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is Curacao a good first time caribbean trip

thanks

Haarlem, The...
Level Contributor
227 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is Curacao a good first time caribbean trip

If you do not want too Americanize then I would suggest not going to the big hotels and esspecialy not Sunscape. Really a lot of Americans go to Sunscape, renaissance and Marriot. I would then go to a resort, either in west point, but this part of the island is very quiet and going out dressy is more to the center en east part of the island. In the east part you have Papagayo beach, Zanzibar beach, Mambo beach for your cocktails, nice restaurants are Gouveneur, le clochard, fishalicious and many more.

So what you should really do is figure out in which part of the island you would like to stay, the quite, nice beaches and snorkeling side of the island, or the more “active” with plenty of restaurants, bars and also beaches of course. Then secondly figure out what you would want. A hotel or a nice rental home. There are a few here in tripadvisor ( vacation rentals). Sunscape is an all inclusive hotel, but it sounds that you aren’t really looking for that. Would be a shame though, because there are so many places for nice food.

Just let me know if you want more info, on west point resorts or east point (jan thiel) resorts, happy to help you out

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
773 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is Curacao a good first time caribbean trip

Try renting a villa as that way you get the gated resort as well a good mix of local culture. It is one of the reasons we bought a house on the island. People are friendly , streets are safe , lots of beaches to see and things to do. Buy groceries at the supermarket so you can cook what you want and eat out when you want.

You should rent a car to get around , its cheap an easy.

We bougt our place in Royal palm resort. 10 min from airport and 5 min from grocery store and down town by car.

Enjoy your trip

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,004 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is Curacao a good first time caribbean trip

The only problem with picking Curacao is you may not want to try anywhere else again.

Renting a car is a must. D&D and Just Drive have the best service and cost.

If you're considering a AI, Sunscape is the only true AI on the island, but it is somewhat Americanized as are most of the resorts with nice beaches.

Check out their reviews or go to AMResorts.com.

We have stayed there and loved it.

Their snorkeling is some of the best on the island.

There is a break water that provides a nice calm area for snorkeling or you can venture on the ocean side that has more coral.

Even with it being an AI, we still try several restaurants each time we go. There are so many good ones.

Lancaster, PA
Level Contributor
815 posts
693 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is Curacao a good first time caribbean trip

Curacao's low prices are usually their main attraction but IMO not the best Caribbean island---very windy, no long beaches to walk on, very developed, and dutch food throughout. Our #1 choice is Providenciales/Turks & Caicos---beautiful beaches! #2-is Grand Cayman.

Willington...
Destination Expert
for Curacao
Level Contributor
5,167 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is Curacao a good first time caribbean trip

Irish, have you been to Curacao? We find more than dutch food. Grand Cayman is very developed and very expensive. I have been to both and love them both equally.

Lancaster, PA
Level Contributor
815 posts
693 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is Curacao a good first time caribbean trip

Yes.....and will go back some day. :)

Townsend, MA
Destination Expert
for Curacao
Level Contributor
1,871 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is Curacao a good first time caribbean trip

I think Curacao will fit your requirements nicely.

We have been to a dozen or more islands in the Caribbean and Curacao is the one we have been back to five times.

We like Sunscape. It is comparable in price to some of the other resorts and is all inclusive. That means you aren't pulling out the cash every time you want a caipirinha on the beach. And, since you are paying what you would pay to stay at the Barbara Beach or Mariott, you can still go off-resort a few times for different meals.

The weather is not a concern - out of the hurricane belt and never have to worry about it being cold - something that can ruin an expensive vacation in the Bahamas.

Safe to drive around and explore. Free, easy parking in the garage at the Renasissance for exploring Willemstad and the Rif Fort.

Trolley tours downtown, dune buggy tours, segway tours.

Be as relaxed or active as you want!